||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gjirokastër, Ottoman Empire
|Known for||Uncle of Enver Hoxha
Assembly of Vlorë 1912
Mayor of Gjirokastër
Hysen Hoxha was born in Gjirokastër, where his father Beqir was a supporter of the local branch of the League of Prizren. He studied theology in Istanbul. Hoxha was responsible for opening the first Albanian-language school in his region (named "Liria") and at the time of his nephew Enver Hoxha's birth in 1908 chaired a committee of national renaissance in the province. He also founded a folk ensemble. In November 1912 he served as a delegate from Gjirokastër to the Vlorë meeting on the occasion of the Albanian Declaration of Independence.
His impact on the early life of Enver Hoxha was felt due to Enver's father having been overseas in the United States of America as an economic emigrant. As an atheist he played a role in fostering Enver's own atheistic views at an early age.
- Enver Hoxha: 1908-1985. Tirana: Institute of Marxist–Leninist Studies at the Central Committee of the Party of Labour of Albania. 1986. p. 17.
- Studime historike Vol. 40, No. 23. Akademia e Shkencave, Instituti i Historisë. 1986. p. 163.
- Biberaj, Elez. Albania: A Socialist Maverick. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. 1990. p. 16.
- Hoxha, Enver. Vitë të vegjëlisë. Tirana: 8 Nëntori. 1983.
- Schmidt-Neke, Michael. Enstehung und Ausbau der Königsdiktatur in Albanien, 1912-1939. München: R. Oldenbourg Verlag. 1987. p. 320.
- Zlatar, Pero. Albanija u eri Envera Hoxhe Vol. II. Zagreb: Grafički zavod Hrvatske. 1984. pp. 23–26.