IEEE 11073 service-oriented device connectivity
The IEEE 11073 service-oriented device connectivity (SDC) family of standards defines a communication protocol for point-of-care (PoC) medical devices. The main purpose is to enable manufacturer-independent medical device-to-device interoperability.. Furthermore, interconnection between medical devices and medical information systems is enabled. However, IEEE 11073 SDC does not compete with established and emerging standards like HL7 v2 or HL7 FHIR. IEEE 11073 SDC is part of the established ISO/IEEE 11073 family of standards.
IEEE 11073 SDC is based on the paradigm of a service-oriented architecture (SOA). The family of standard consists of a transport standard, IEEE 11073-20702, called Medical Devices Communication Profile for Web Services, a Domain Information and Service Model (IEEE 11073-10207), and Architecture and Binding definition (IEEE 11073-20701).
The standard "IEEE 11073-20702 - Health informatics - Point-of-care medical device communication Part 20702: Medical Devices Communication Profile for Web Services" (short Medical DPWS or MDPWS) enables the foundational interoperability between medical devices. This includes the ability of medical devices to exchange data safely in a distributed system and the ability to discover network participants dynamically. MDPWS is derived from the OASIS standard Devices Profile for Web Services (DPWS). It defines extensions and restrictions to meet safety requirements of medical devices for high acuity environments.
The Standard "IEEE 11073-10207 - IEEE Health informatics - Point-of-care medical device communication Part 10207: Domain Information and Service Model for Service-Oriented Point-of-Care Medical Device Communication" is derived from the IEEE 11073-10201 Domain Information Model. It is designed to meet the requirements of networked systems of medical devices establishing multipoint-to-multipoint communication.
The Domain Information Model defines the capability description of the medical devices as well as the representation of the current state. The Service Model specifies the way in which service consumer can interact with medical devices implementing the role of a service provider. IEEE 11073-10207 enables the structural interoperability between medical devices. The non-normative name is Basic Integrated Clinical Environment Protocol Specification (BICEPS).  
The "IEEE 11073-20701-2018 - IEEE Approved Draft Standard for Service-Oriented Medical Device Exchange Architecture & Protocol Binding" defines the allover service-oriented architecture, specifies the binding between IEEE 11073-20701 and IEEE 11073-10207, and specifies the binding to other standards like Network Time Protocol (NTP) or Differentiated Services (DiffServ) for aspects like time synchronization and Quality of Service (QoS) requirements. Together with the usage of terminology standards (like IEEE 11073-10101), this standard contributes to the semantic interoperability of medical devices.  
Open Source Implementations
There are open source libraries available implementing the IEEE 11073 SDC standards:
- openSDC (written in Java)
- SDCLib/C (written in C++, formerly known as OSCLib)
- SDCLib/J (written in Java, formerly known as SoftICE)
- SDCLib/J (fork) (written in Java, fork of the former main author which implements the latest features)
- Schlichting, Stefan; Pöhlsen, Stephan (14 January 2014). "An architecture for distributed systems of medical devices in high acuity environments - A Proposal for Standards Adoption" (PDF). Dräger. Cite journal requires
- Kasparick, Martin; Schmitz, Malte; Andersen, Björn; Rockstroh, Max; Franke, Stefan; Schlichting, Stefan; Golatowski, Frank; Timmermann, Dirk (2018). "OR.NET: a service-oriented architecture for safe and dynamic medical device interoperability". Biomedical Engineering / Biomedizinische Technik. 63 (1): 11–30. doi:10.1515/bmt-2017-0020. ISSN 0013-5585. PMID 29346114.
- Andersen, Björn; Kasparick, Martin; Ulrich, Hannes; Franke, Stefan; Schlamelcher, Jan; Rockstroh, Max; Ingenerf, Josef (2018). "Connecting the clinical IT infrastructure to a service-oriented architecture of medical devices". Biomedical Engineering / Biomedizinische Technik. 63 (1): 57–68. doi:10.1515/bmt-2017-0021. ISSN 0013-5585. PMID 29272252.
- M. Kasparick, B. Andersen, H. Ulrich, S. Franke, E. Schreiber, M. Rockstroh, F. Golatowski, D. Timmermann, J. Ingenerf und T. Neumuth (2018). "IEEE 11073 SDC and HL7 FHIR - Emerging Standards for Interoperability of Medical Systems" (PDF). International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery. 13 (Suppl 1): 135–136. doi:10.1007/s11548-018-1766-y. PMID 29766372.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Rockstroh, M.; Franke, S.; Hofer, M.; Will, A.; Kasparick, M.; Andersen, B.; Neumuth, T. (2017-08-01). "OR.NET: multi-perspective qualitative evaluation of an integrated operating room based on IEEE 11073 SDC". International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery. 12 (8): 1461–1469. doi:10.1007/s11548-017-1589-2. ISSN 1861-6429. PMID 28484922.
- Rockstroh, Max; Franke, Stefan; Dees, Raluca; Merzweiler, Angela; Schneider, Gerd; Dingler, Max; Dietz, Christian; Pfeifer, Jonas; Kühn, Franziska (2018). "From SOMDA to application – integration strategies in the OR.NET demonstration sites". Biomedical Engineering / Biomedizinische Technik. 63 (1): 69–80. doi:10.1515/bmt-2017-0023. ISSN 0013-5585. PMID 29397018.
- IEEE Standards Association. "IEEE Standard 11073-20702-2016 - IEEE Approved Draft Standard for Medical Devices Communication Profile for Web Services".
- Kasparick, M.; Schlichting, S.; Golatowski, F.; Timmermann, D. (October 2015). "Medical DPWS: New IEEE 11073 standard for safe and interoperable medical device communication". 2015 IEEE Conference on Standards for Communications and Networking (CSCN): 212–217. doi:10.1109/CSCN.2015.7390446. ISBN 978-1-4799-8927-0.
- IEEE Standards Association. "IEEE Standard 11073-10207-2017 - IEEE Health informatics--Point-of-care medical device communication Part 10207: Domain Information and Service Model for Service-Oriented Point-of-Care Medical Device Communication".
- Kasparick, M.; Schlichting, S.; Golatowski, F.; Timmermann, D. (August 2015). "New IEEE 11073 standards for interoperable, networked point-of-care Medical Devices". 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). 2015. pp. 1721–1724. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2015.7318709. ISBN 978-1-4244-9271-8. PMID 26736609.
- IEEE Standards Association. "IEEE 11073-20701-2018 - Health informatics--Point-of-care medical device communication - Part 20701: Service-Oriented Medical Device Exchange Architecture and Protocol Binding".
- "SourceForge Project "openSDC"".
- "GitHub Project "SDCLib/C"". 2019-11-19.
- "BitBucket Project "SDCLib/J"".
- "BitBucket Project "SDCLib/J (fork)"".