|Headquarters||Dublin, Ohio, United States|
Number of employees
IGS Energy, also known as Interstate Gas Supply, Inc., is an independent retail natural gas and electric supplier based in Dublin, Ohio, United States. It serves more than 1,000,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the states of Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia, Maryland, Texas, California and Illinois.[non-primary source needed] The company was founded in 1989, and today employs more than 400 people at its headquarters in Dublin, Ohio.
In 1986, Marvin White, former CEO of Columbia Gas Distribution Companies, helped found Ohio's choice program. Three years later, in 1989, he founded Interstate Gas Supply, Inc. (IGS Energy), in Dublin, Ohio, with his son, Scott. The privately held company began as a commercial and industrial wholesale supplier of Ohio-produced natural gas. By 1992, IGS Energy expanded its focus to include natural gas retail marketing directly to end-users. IGS Energy has an A+ rating with the BBB.
Following the deregulation of residential natural gas service in 1997, IGS Energy began serving residential customers of Columbia Gas of Ohio. IGS Energy further expanded into the residential and small commercial arenas in 1999. Today, as a natural gas provider, the company offers gas in Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, New York, California, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia and Illinois and has plans to expand further.. In 2011, IGS acquired gas and electricity supplier Accent Energy, based in Dublin, Ohio, and its subsidiary Dynowatt. At the same year IGS Energy began providing electric service to customers in Chicago and Pennsylvania.
In 2010, IGS moved into its current headquarters in Dublin, Ohio. The IGS Energy building was awarded LEED® Platinum certification, the highest of the four LEED certification ratings, the first commercial office building in central Ohio to meet the LEED® Platinum standard.
IGS continues to explore ways to bring energy to consumers in environmentally responsible ways. This includes offering green energy products, expanding solar energy offerings, compressed natural gas filling stations and distributed generation.
Natural Gas and Electric Residential Choice Programs
In January 2013, IGS Energy CNG Services announced plans to invest $10 million to construct 4 compressed natural gas refueling stations off Interstate 79 in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Construction of the I-79 CNG corridor is schedule for completion by the end of 2013. In June 2013 IGS Energy announced plans to construct another CNG station in Youngstown Ohio.
IGS currently operates 12 CNG stations across Ohio, Indiana and West Virginia.
In 2015, IGS began offering solar services for businesses, communities and residential homes under the IGS Solar brand.
- Ball, Brian R. (17 March 2008). "Interstate Gas Supply alights in Dublin".
- "Interstate Gas Supply Acquires Accent Energy, Expanding Electric Service to Illinois, Pennsylvania". Energy Choice Matters. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "America's #1 Independent Retail Supplier of Natural Gas Enters Electricity Market". Reuters (Press release). IGS Energy. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Paul, Ring. "Interstate Gas Supply Begins Offering Service at Duquesne Light". Energy Choice Matters. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- "Interstate Gas Supply Begins Offering Electric Supply in New State". Energy Choice Matters. 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Interstate Gas Supply Launches Service in Two New Territories". Energy Choice Matters. 2012-05-07. Retrieved 2014-02-08.