The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
IPFC stands for Internet Protocol over Fibre Channel. It governs a set of standards created in January 2006 for address resolution (ARP) and transmitting IPv4 and IPv6 network packets over a Fibre Channel (FC) network. IPFC makes up part of the FC-4 protocol-mapping layer of a Fibre Channel system.
In IPFC, each IP datagram packet is wrapped into a FC frame, with its own header, and transmitted as a sequence of one or more frames. The receiver at the other end received the frames, strips the FC headers and reassembles the IP packet. IP datagrams of up to 65,280 bytes in size may be accommodated. ARP packet transmission works in the same fashion. Each IP datagram exchange is unidirectional, although IP and TCP allow for bidirectional communication within their protocols.
IPFC is an application protocol that is typically implemented as a device driver in an operating system. IP over FC plays a less important role in storage area networking than SCSI over Fibre Channel or IP over Ethernet. IPFC has been used, for example, to provide clock synchronization via the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
- "RFC 4338". datatracker.ietf.org. IETF. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Black, David L. "A Storage Menagerie: SANs, Fibre Channel, Replication and Networks" (PDF). www.nanog.org. NANOG 51 Conference. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- (Corporation), NIIT. Special Edition Using Storage Area Networks. Que Publishing. p. 256. ISBN 9780789725745. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- DeCusatis, Casimer. Handbook of Fiber Optic Data Communication: A Practical Guide to Optical Networking. Academic Press. p. 199. ISBN 9780124016958. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Troppens, Ulf; Erkens, Rainer; Muller-Friedt, Wolfgang; Wolafka, Rainer; Haustein, Nils. Storage Networks Explained: Basics and Application of Fibre Channel SAN, NAS, iSCSI, InfiniBand and FCoE. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781119965435. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Long, James. Storage Networking Protocol Fundamentals. Cisco Press. p. 400. ISBN 0133490556. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Shamsee, Navaid; Klebanov, David; Fayed, Hesham; Afrose, Ahmed; Karakok, Ozden. CCNA Data Center DCICT 640-916 Official Cert Guide. Cisco Press. p. 309. ISBN 9780133860450. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- RFC 4338 - Transmission of IPv6, IPv4, and Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Packets over Fibre Channel
- RFC 5494 - An update of RFC 4338 specifying IANA guidelines for ARP
- RFC 2625, RFC 3831 were older versions of IPFC obsoleted by RFC 4338
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|