International Solar Energy Society
|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The International Solar Energy Society (ISES) is a global organization for promoting the development and utilisation of renewable energy. ISES is a UN-accredited NGO and David S. Renné is the current president. It has its headquarters in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany.
ISES was formed in 1954 as a worldwide non-profit organisation dedicated to the advancement of the utilisation of solar energy. ISES is now active in over 110 countries worldwide. Its members include scientists and researchers, plus many others from industry, solar energy associations and other private and public organisations.
ISES aims to bring recent developments in solar energy, both in research and applications, to the attention of decision makers and the general public, in order to increase the understanding and use of this non-polluting resource in everyday life. ISES promotes research, development and the use of technologies which are directly or indirectly fuelled by the sun and which minimise the consequences of energy use. These technologies can provide sustainable solutions for the supply of energy in both industrialised and developing countries. In spite of a historic focus on direct solar energy, ISES today is involved in all renewable energy fields.
ISES is a member of the International Renewable Energy Alliance (REN Alliance). Other members include the International Geothermal Association (IGA), International Hydropower Association (IHA), World Bioenergy Association (WBA) and the World Wind Energy Association (WWEA).
ISES is the publisher of several publications including Renewable Energy Focus, the scientific journal Solar Energy and various white papers. ISES also operates an online bookshop which includes conference proceedings, pocket reference books and others.
The ISES Sections are organisations working at the national or regional level and represent the international organisation at this level. Members are encouraged to be involved with the Sections in their area.
- Energy & Environment
- International Journal of Advanced Renewable Energy Research
- Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews
- List of books about renewable energy
- Clean Tech Nation: How the U.S. Can Lead in the New Global Economy (2012) by Ron Pernick and Clint Wilder
- Deploying Renewables 2011 (2011) by the International Energy Agency
- Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era (2011) by Amory Lovins
- Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation (2011) by the IPCC
- Solar Energy Perspectives (2011) by the International Energy Agency