International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee
|Founder||Joseph Hardin and Robert Cailliau|
|Type||non-profit International Association|
|Focus||Development of the World Wide Web by hosting the annual World Wide Web Conference|
|Mission||To promote excellence in and impact of research about the infrastructure and deployment of the World Wide Web. To support dissemination activities that engage researchers with other sectors of the Web community.|
The International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee (abbreviated as IW3C2 also written as IW3C2) is a professional non-profit organization registered in Switzerland (Article 60ff of the Swiss Civil Code) that promotes World Wide Web research and development. The IW3C2 organizes and hosts the annual World Wide Web Conference in conjunction with the W3C.
The IW3C2 was founded by Joseph Hardin and Robert Cailliau at a meeting held in Boston, United States, on August 14, 1994 to prepare for the upcoming Second International World Wide Web Conference in Chicago. The IW3C2 formally became an incorporated entity in May 1996 at the fifth conference in Paris, France.
The abbreviation for the International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee as IW3C2 is as follow:
- I- The I is represents the leading I in International.
- W3- The W3 represents the three 3 leading W's in World Wide Web.
- C2- The C2 represents the three 2 leading C's in Conferences Committee.
The mission of the IW3C2 is:
- To coordinate the organization and planning of the international WWW conference series and ensure that it remains the foremost conference addressing World Wide Web research and development;
- To promote a collaborative spirit among conference attendees that is essential to the success of the series;
- To ensure the global geographical diversity of conference sites and provide support to local organizers at those sites;
- To make sure that all content arising from these conferences and forums is permanently and openly available on the widest possible scale;
- To preserve the history of the conference series;
- To encourage the global development of the World Wide Web through collaboration with WWW standards organizations;
- To provide a permanent, broad-based international body to achieve these purposes.
The conferences are organized by the IW3C2 in collaboration with local organizing committees and technical program committees. The series provides an open forum in which all opinions can be presented, subject to a strict process of peer review.
Ordinary members are elected for a period of 3 years during a general meeting. Members are nominated due to their recognition in the WWW community and represent themselves. Members can be re-elected only after at least one year of absence.
The following are the founding members at the time when IW3C2 was officially incorporated in May 1996:
- Jean-François Abramatic
- Tim Berners-Lee
- Robert Cailliau
- Dale Dougherty
- Ira Goldstein
- Joseph Hardin
- Tim Krauskopf
- Detlef Krömker
- Corinne Moore
- R.P.Channing Rodgers
- Albert Vezza
- Stuart Weibel
- Yuri Rubinsky (died prior to incorporation)
The following are the current (November 2014) ordinary members:
- Neil Calder
- Robin Chen - IW3C2 Vice-Chair
- David Duce
- Allan Ellis
- Wendy Hall - IW3C2 Chair
- Ivan Herman
- Arun Iyengar
- Wei-Ying Ma
- Yoelle Maarek
- Luc Mariaux - IW3C2 Treasurer
- Prabhakar Raghavan
- Daniel Schwabe - IW3C2 Vice-Chair
- Bebo White
- Mary Ellen Zurko - IW3C2 Vice-Chair
Ex Officio Members
Ex officio members are selected from the immediate past conference general co-chairs and from future conference co-chairs. Their term expires one year after the conference they organized. Ex officio members can be elected as ordinary members.
The following are current (November 2014) ex officio members and the conference with which they are affiliated:
- Chin-Wan Chung - WWW2014
- Kyuseok Shim - WWW2014
- Aldo Gangemi - WWW2015
- Allessandro Panconesi - WWW2015
- Jacqueline Bourdeau - WWW2016
- James Hendler - WWW2016
- Rick Barrett - WWW2017
- Rick Cummings - WWW2017
The IW3C2 officers consist of a chairperson, a vice-chair (chairperson-elect), a secretary, a treasurer, and other appointees. Officers are elected during a general meeting (usually at the annual WWW conference) and serve for one year. They can be re-elected an indefinite number of times.
- "About". International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "Past and Future Conferences". ICW3C2. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "By-Laws of the International World Wide Web Conference Committee". International WWW Conference Committee. 1996-07-28. Archived from the original on 1997-01-03. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- Petrie, Charles; Cailliau, Robert (November 1997). "Interview Robert Cailliau on the WWW Proposal: "How It Really Happened."". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. Retrieved 18 August 2010.
- "Welcome". International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 29 March 2010.