I Am Thor
I Am Thor is a documentary about the life of bodybuilder and rock musician Jon Mikl Thor of the band THOR. The film was directed by Ryan Wise and produced by Ryan Wise and Alan Higbee and had its world premiere at the 2015 Slamdance Film Festival.
I am Thor is the story of Jon Mikl Thor, body builder, actor, and musician. During the "hair metal band" period of the 1980s he was the front man in the band Thor. Thor was known for his over-the-top theatrics with elaborate costumes and props, many of which he used in displays of strength. The band had a tumultuous career, and disbanded in 1987. The film documents the ups and downs of the performer's career, with filming beginning in 2001 when Thor was making a comeback. The film shows his revival when his music has been picked up by Northern European metal fans. In interviews, Thor speaks candidly of his earlier wild and strange career and many record deals.
After premiering at the Slamdance Film Festival in January 2015 the film then went on to screen at film festivals including Florida Film Festival, Calgary Underground FIlm Festival, Brooklyn Film Festival, New Zealand International Film Festival, and the Fantasia International Film Festival where it won the Audience Award for Best Documentary.
It was picked up for worldwide distribution by MPI Media Group where it was released in theaters and video-on-demand on November 20, 2015. To coincide with this release, Jon Mikl Thor went on a US tour of major cities, screening the new film followed by a live concert.
The film was released on Netflix in USA, Canada, and Scandinavia in June, 2016.
The film has received high acclaim in many reviews, receiving a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Screen Anarchy called it "a very winning documentary."  Audiences everywhere named I Am Thor one of the 10 Best Documentaries of 2015. The Hollywood Reporter called it "an entertainingly eccentric doc".
- "'I Am Thor': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "2015: The Year Music Documentaries Brought Back the Dead". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- Jr, Mike Fleming. "Slamdance Fest Sets Slate". Deadline. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- Abrams, Simon. "Metal Doc 'I Am Thor' Stars a God but Doesn't Do Him Justice". Village Voice. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- Sentinel, Orlando. "Florida Film Fest: 177 films in 10 days". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "Sampling the underground: Five things to see at this year's Calgary Underground Film Festival". Calgary Herald. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "2015 Brooklyn Film Festival Announces Full Lineup | Film Pulse". Film Pulse. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "I Am Thor review". Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "Fantasia Fest Review: I AM THOR". Birth.Movies.Death. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "Fantasia 2015: Award Winners and 2016 Dates Announced - Dread Central". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Q&A: Jon Mikl Thor". Willamette Week. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- jordan, chris. "Thor picks his hammer up again". Metro. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "New to DVD this week". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "The DVD Wrapup: Straight Outta Compton, Diary of a Teenage Girl, Howl, I Am Thor and more « Movie City News". moviecitynews.com. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- Martin, Peter (2015-04-23). "Night Visions 2015 Review: I AM THOR, From Naked Waiter To Rock Star To Retirement And Back Again". ScreenAnarchy. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "10 Best Documentaries of 2015". Audiences Everywhere. 2015-12-29. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "'I Am Thor': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-12-10.