1949 BRDC International Trophy
Silverstone Circuit in 1949
|Date||20 August 1949|
|Official name||Daily Express International Trophy|
|Location||Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.649 km (2.889 mi)|
|Time||1:56.0 (Heat 1)
1:55.0 (Heat 2)
The first BRDC International Trophy meeting, formally titled the Daily Express International Trophy, was held on 20 August 1949 at the Silverstone Circuit, England. It was the first race meeting to only use the former airfield's perimeter roadways, rather than the main runways. The event was held over two heats of 20 laps and one final of 30 laps of the Grand Prix circuit. The final was won by Italian Alberto Ascari, who would go on to win the World Championship of Drivers twice. In addition to the main Formula One-regulation competition, the meeting also contained events for 500 cc racing cars and production cars. The race meeting was attended by over 100,000 people, but was marred by the death of St. John Horsfall in an accident on the 13th lap of the final race.
|1||Alberto Ascari||Ferrari 125||59:42.6|
|2||Giuseppe Farina||Ferrari 125||+ 1.8 s|
|3||Luigi Villoresi||Ferrari 125||+ 36.4 s|
|4||Emmanuel de Graffenried||Maserati 4CLT||+ 36.4 s|
|5||Peter Walker||ERA E-type||+ 1:24.2|
|6||B. Bira||Maserati 4CLT||+ 2:15.8|
|7||Bob Gerard||ERA B-type||+ 1 lap|
|8||Fred Ashmore||Maserati 4CLT||+ 1 lap|
|9||Cuth Harrison||ERA B-type||+ 2 laps|
|10||Tony Rolt||Alfa Romeo Aitken||+ 2 laps|
|11||David Hampshire||ERA C-type||+ 2 laps|
|12||Johnny Claes||Talbot-Lago T26C||+ 3 laps|
|13||Pierre Levegh||Talbot-Lago T26C||+ 3 laps|
|14||Gordon Watson||Alta 69||+ 3 laps|
|15||Joe Fry||Maserati 4CL||+ 3 laps|
|16||George Nixon||ERA A-type||+ 3 laps|
|17||Roy Salvadori||Maserati 4CL||+ 3 laps|
|18||David Murray||Maserati 4CL||+ 4 laps|
|19||Joe Kelly||Maserati 6CM||+ 4 laps|
|20||Geoffrey Crossley||Alta GP||+ 4 laps|
|21||Geoff Richardson||RRA||+ 9 laps|
|Ret||St John Horsfall||ERA B-type||Fatal accident|
- "Motor Racing Gala at Silverstone". The Motor. 96 (2485): 3–4. 1949.
- "Racing at Silverstone". The Austin Magazine. 22: 624–625. July 1949.
- "In the World of Sport: Athletics, Car Racing, Golf and Angling". The Illustrated London News. 215 (5750-5762). August 27, 1949. p. 304.
Results and other data drawn from:
- "1949 BRDC International Trophy". ChicaneF1.com. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "I BRDC International Trophy". GEL Motorsport Information Page. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "International Trophy, 1949". oldracingcars.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "1949 International Trophy". MotorSport. Retrieved 2017-12-24.