It was originally written as a radio production for Radio Audizioni Italiane and first performed, on air, on 15 November 1950. The first staged production was in London at the Scala Theatre (London Opera Club) on 17 March 1952. It was also given at the Teatro Petruzzelli in Bari on 18 January 1971, and at the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo on 23 October 1972.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere Cast, 15 November 1950|
(Conductor: Franco Ferrara )
|Signora Guidotti||mezzo-soprano||Agnese Dubbini|
|Dr Sinisgalli||tenor||Mario Carlin|
Rota: I due timidi, La notte di un nevrastenico, Orchestra Filarmonia Veneta 'G F Malipiero', Chorus of the Teatro Sociale di Rovigo Conductor: Flavio Emilio Scogna Principal singers: Paolo Drigo, Shin Young-Hoon, Sabrina Testa, Lorenzo Battagion, Nunzio Galli, Giuliano Scaranello Release date: 2005 Label: Bongiovanni 2367 (CD)
- I due timidi / La notte di un nevrastenico Giorgio Celenza, Sabrina Cortese, Daniele Adriani, Antonio Sapio, Chiara Osella, and Carlo Feola Reate Festival Orchestra, led by Gabriele Bonolis, Dynamic 2CD or DVD 2019
- "Nino Rota Music Catalogue". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Rota: I Due Timidi; La Notte di un Nevrastenico American Record Guide 1 July 2005
- Retrieved and recorded an Italian opera that was believed lost 20 December 2004
- "- Reviews – December 1969 – from theoperacritic.com". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Theater an der Wien – Error 404". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Nino Rota". Discogs. Retrieved 2 August 2016.