Ian Fraser (naturalist)
He has been running the educational Environment Tours program - natural history bus-based tours throughout Australia - in association with the Canberra environment movement since 1984, and more recently has worked for Chris Carter of Time Travel Australia leading natural history tours to South America.
He was awarded the Australian Plants Award by the Australian Native Plants Society in 2001, and the Australian Natural History Medallion in 2006. In 2011 his book A Bush Capital Year, written with artist Peter Marsack, was awarded a Whitley Certificate for Best Regional Zoology by the Royal Zoological Society of NSW.
Since 2002 he has written a monthly essay on birds for Gang-gang, the Newsletter of the Canberra Ornithologists Group.
He has served on the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Natural Resources Management Advisory Committee (and its various predecessors), advising the ACT government on biodiversity issues, since 1984, and has chaired it since 2005.
He is partnered to journalist and ABC local radio presenter Louise Maher.
- Above the Cotter - A driver's and walker's guide to the North Brindabellas, Ian Fraser and Margaret McJannett, Canberra and South-East Region Environment Centre, Canberra, 1991 ISBN 0-646-04309-9
- Wild about Canberra: A field guide to the plants and animals of the ACT, Ian Fraser and Margaret McJannett, ACT Parks and Conservation Service, Canberra, 1993 ISBN 1-86331-153-X
- Wildflowers of the Bush Capital - a Field Guide to Canberra Nature Park., Ian Fraser and Margaret McJannett, Vertego Press, Canberra, 1993 ISBN 0-646-15711-6
- Over the Hills and Tharwa Way - Eastern Namadgi National Park - A driver's and walker's guide, Ian Fraser and Margaret McJannett, Canberra and South-East Region Environment Centre, Canberra, 1994 ISBN 0-646-19029-6
- Neighbours in Trouble! - Endangered plants and animals in the ACT, Ian Fraser and Margaret McJannett, Conservation Council of the South-East Region and Canberra, Canberra, 1996.
- Wildflowers of the Snow Country, Ian Fraser and Margaret McJannett, Vertego Press, Canberra, 1998 ISBN 0-646-35260-1
- A Bush Capital Year; a natural history of the Canberra region, Ian Fraser and Peter Marsack, CSIRO Publishing, 2011. ISBN 9780643101555
- Australian Bird Names; a complete guide. Ian Fraser and Jeannie Gray. CSIRO Publishing, 2013. ISBN 9780643104693.
|This article about an Australian writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|