June 17, 1938|
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
He was educated at the University of Melbourne (BSc 1958, BA (hons) 1960), University of Adelaide (MSc, 1961) and University College London, where he was supervised by renowned mathematical physicist Sir Harrie Massey, and earned his PhD in 1964. He was a research scientist for the Colonial Sugar Refining company 1964–5, and since 1965 has been at the University of New South Wales, where he has been Scientia Professor since 1999. He served as Head of the School of Mathematics from 1986 to 1990 and from 1992 to 1993.
His early work was in theoretical nuclear physics, but he moved to applied mathematics, especially numerical analysis. Sloan has published more than 200 papers covering areas such as the numerical solution of integral equations, numerical integration and interpolation, boundary integral equations, approximation theory, multiple integration, continuous complexity theory and other parts of numerical analysis and approximation theory. He has made important contributions to the theory of numerical integration in many dimensions, in recent years concentrating on Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods.
- In 1990 he was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science
- In 1997, he was awarded the ANZIAM Medal of the Australian Mathematical Society.
- During 1998–2000, he was President of the Australian Mathematical Society.
- He was the 2001 winner of the Thomas Ranken Lyle Medal.
- Also in 2001, he was awarded the Centenary Medal.
- In 2002, he shared the inaugural George Szekeres Medal of the Australian Mathematical Society with Alf van der Poorten of Macquarie University.
- During 2003–2007, he was President of the International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM).
- In the June 2008 Queen's Birthday Honours, he was proclaimed as an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO).
- In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- In 2014 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of New South Wales (FRSN).
- An Interview with Ian Sloan,
- Ian Sloan's web page, retrieved 2012-05-11.
- Citation for 1997 ANZIAM Medal, www.anziam.org.au
- Thomas Ranken Lyle Medal, Australian Academy of Science, retrieved 2010-06-06.
- Centenary Medal, 1 January 2001, www.itsanhonour.gov.au
For service to Australian society and science mathematics
- The George Szekeres Medal, www.austms.org.au
- Officer of the Order of Australia (AO), 9 June 2008,www.itsanhonour.gov.au
For service to education through the study of mathematics, particularly in the field of computational mathematics, as an academic, researcher and mentor, and to a range of national and international professional associations.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-20.