Identity Governance Framework
The Identity Governance Framework was a project of the Liberty Alliance for standards to help enterprises determine and control how identity information is used, stored, and propagated using protocols such as LDAP, SAML, and WS-Trust and ID-WSF.
The Identity Governance Framework (IGF) enables organizations to define policies that regulate and control the exchange of identity information between application systems both internally and with external partners. Identity information may include things like names, addresses, social security numbers or other information that would be otherwise considered related to an individual's identity.
The policy information is both useful to privacy auditors for assessing the use of identity information in applications and to policy enforcement systems for ensuring that appropriate use of identity information takes place.
IGF was originally announced by Oracle in November, 2006 as a joint initiative between CA, HP, Layer 7 Technologies, Novell, Oracle, Ping Identity, Securent, and Sun Microsystems.
In February, 2007, the initiative was transferred to the Liberty Alliance to take the draft proposal forward and fully develop the standard.
In July, 2007, Liberty announced completion of the Market Requirements Use Case documentation.
In November, 2009, Liberty Alliance published final specifications of IGF components CARML (Client Attribute Requirements Markup Language) and IGF Privacy Constraints.
In December, 2009, Project Aristotle published ArisID, an implementation of IGF 1.0 release 1.1.
Liberty Alliance published final specifications of IGF components CARML (Client Attribute Requirements Markup Language) and IGF Privacy Constraints in the fall of 2009. Ongoing standards work is now being handled by the Kantara Initiative, LSM Working Group
- Liberty Alliance Identity Governance Strategic Initiative
- OpenLiberty Project Aristotle
- Oracle Technology Network IGF Page
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance Journal - January 3, 2007 - Open Initiative to Help Organizations Govern Identity Information Across Enterprise Applications
- Network World - July 30, 2007 - Identity Governance Framework sprints to the finish line
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance Journal - January 24, 2008 - Identity Governance Framework - Liberty Alliance's Initiative Addressing Privacy and SOX
- ZDNet Dana Blankenhorn Blog - November 19, 2008 - Will identity be open source?