Iford, East Sussex
View of village and church
Iford shown within East Sussex
|Area||9.7 km2 (3.7 sq mi) |
209 (2011 Census)
|– density||55/sq mi (21/km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||45 miles (72 km) N|
|Shire county||East Sussex|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Iford // is a village and civil parish in the Lewes District of East Sussex, England. The village is located two miles (3.2 km) south of Lewes. The parish lies on slopes of the South Downs in the valley of the River Ouse.
The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas.
On a local level, Iford parish is governed as a Parish meeting with meetings held in the village hall.
The next level of government is the district council. The parish of Iford lies within the Kingston ward of Lewes District Council, which returns a single seat to the council. The election on 4 May 2007 elected a Liberal Democrat
East Sussex County Council is the next tier of government, for which Iford is within the Newhaven and Ouse Valley West division, with responsibility for Education, Libraries, Social Services, Civil Registration, Trading Standards and Transport. Elections for the County Council are held every four years. The Liberal Democrat David Rogers OBE was elected in the 2005 election.
At European level, Iford is represented by the South-East region, which holds ten seats in the European Parliament. The June 2004 election returned 4 Conservatives, 2 Liberal Democrats, 2 UK Independence, 1 Labour and 1 Green, none of whom live in East Sussex.
Iford parish has two Sites of Special Scientific Interest within its boundaries; Kingston Escarpment and Iford Hill and Lewes Brooks. Kingston Escarpment is a 159 acres (64 ha) site of biological interest. It consists of two steep sloping chalk downland, an important habitat for many invertebrates. Lewes Brooks, also of biological importance, is part of the flood plain of the River Ouse. It provides a habitat for many other invertebrates such as water beetles and snails.
- "East Sussex in Figures". East Sussex County Council. Retrieved 29 April 2008.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Election Results". Lewes District Council. 2007-05-04. Archived from the original on September 18, 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "Councillor David Rogers OBE". Find your Councillor. East Sussex County Council. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "UK MEP's". UK Office of the European Parliament. Archived from the original on 2007-09-17. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- "Festival Iford Parish Meeting". Millennium Commission. 2003. Retrieved 13 November 2008.
- "SSSI Citation — Kingston Escarpment & Iford Hill" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "SSSI Citation — Lewes Brooks" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iford, East Sussex.|
|This East Sussex-location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|