Iiris performing at Iceland Airwaves 2011.
|Birth name||Iiris Vesik|
|Born||July 16, 1991|
|Genres||Indie pop, Dream pop|
|Instruments||vocals, piano, flute|
|Labels||Universal Music Finland|
Iiris Vesik (born 16 July 1991), an artist better known mononymously as Iiris, is an Estonian singer-songwriter and stage actress. Her debut album The Magic Gift Box was released in March 2012 under EMI Music Finland.
She won third place in the Estonian singing competition "Tähtede laul" in 2003.
She also won third place in the Estonian singing competition "Kaks Takti Ette" in 2007, which was televised.
Iiris has competed to represent Estonia in the Eurovision Song Contest on two occasions. In 2008, her song "Ice-Cold Story", written by Riine Pajusaar, placed second in the Eurolaul competition. In 2010 she returned with the self-composed song "Astronaut", placing fourth in the Eesti Laul competition. In 2016, along with Kerli, she wrote the song "Immortality" performed by Cartoon and Kristel Aaslaid, for Eesti Laul 2016.
The Magic Gift Box
2010 was a year that rocketed Iiris into the spotlight. After the showcase festival Tallinn Music Week, Iiris got people talking. “Especially good performance and great songwriting”, said Dietmar Schwenger of MusikWoche. Invitations from festivals like Popkomm (Germany), Musiikki & Media (Finland), The Great Escape (UK), Positivus (Latvia) and Iceland Airwaves (Iceland) followed soon.
At the beginning of 2011 Iiris became the artist of the week on MTV Iggy’s blog – “A depressingly few amount of bands have “it.” In fact, I’m pretty sure I didn’t know what “it” was, until I listened to Estonian singer/songwriter/pianist Iiris. Because whatever “it” is, she definitely has it. Iiris has the eclecticism, the smarts, the innovation, the pop sound, not to mention the adorable/pretty image to become a huge mega mega, mega star.”
After Universal Music Group bought EMI, Iiris has been releasing her songs on Universal Music Finland.
Iiris is frequently compared to artists such as Björk, Florence & The Machine, Kate Bush, Kerli and Regina Spektor, whilst she herself describes her music as "a beast made of pop, with electronic legs, alternative feathers and natural instruments as hands".
- Studio albums
- Chinaberry Girl (2013, Universal Music Group)
- Hope (2016, Dreamweaver)
- "Ice-Cold Story" (Audiosus, 2007)
- "Alien" (Rockhouse, 2008)
- "Astronaut" (Sethh Sound, 2010)
- "Melyse" (EMI Music Finland, 2011)
- "Weirdo" (EMI Music Finland, 2012)
- "Just Like An Ogre" (EMI Music Finland, 2012)
- "Tigerhead" (Universal Music Finland, 2013)
- "Iiridescent Love" (Hand In Hive U.K, 2015)
- "Hope" (Dreamweaver, 2016)
Awards and nominations
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|2010||Herself||Skype "Go Change The World Award" @ TMW||Won|
|2012||"Melyse"||Estonian Music Award for Best Music Video||Nominated|
|2013||The Magic Gift Box||Estonian Music Award for Best Album||Nominated|
|Estonian Music Award for Best Debut Album||Nominated|
|Estonian Music Award for Best Pop Album||Nominated|
|Herself||Estonian Music Award for Best Female Artist||Won|
|"Weirdo"||Estonian Music Award for Best Music Video||Nominated|
|2014||"Tigerhead"||Estonian Music Award for Best Music Video||Won|
- Leivak, Verni (9 Feb 2008). "Iiris otsib spunki". Postimees (in Estonian).
- "Täna ilmus Iirise debüütalbum "The Magic Gift Box"" (in Estonian). elu24. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Aavik, Kadi (17 June 2010). "Iiris Vesik: õppimiseks pidin kodunt jalga laskma" (in Estonian). Naised.
- Kapstas, Meelis (11 December 2007). "Pisike Björk ehk midagi head" (in Estonian). NaisteMaailm.
- "Haridusameti tunnustus abiturient Iiris Vesikule" (in Estonian). Jakob Westholmi Gümnaasium. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Laul nr9. Iiris Vesik – Ice-cold Story. ERR.
- Eurolaul 2008. eurovisioon.ee
- Eesti Laul 2010. eurovisioon.ee
- Granger, Anthony (5 November 2015). "Estonia: Eesti Laul 2016 Participants Announced". Eurovoix. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- Aasma, Kristin, ed. (21 March 2012). "Plaadifirma EMI annab välja Iirise esikalbumi "The Magic Gift Box"". Õhtuleht (in Estonian). Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Nestor, Siim (29 March 2012). "Blond kutt Iirise kõrval". Eesti Ekspress (in Estonian).
- Tooming, Rando (24 March 2012). "Iiris Vesik: olen vaid kanal, mis valmis laulud maailma toob". Õhtuleht. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Lõpuks! Täna ilmus Iirise debüütalbum "The Magic Gift Box"" (in Estonian). Delfi. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Veski, Rivo (19 December 2011). "Iiris ja Kerli fännavad teineteist juba pikemat aega" (in Estonian). elu24. Retrieved 31 March 2012.