Illiana Christian High School
|Illiana Christian High School|
10920 Calumet Avenue|
Dyer, Indiana 46311
|Motto||"In the Challenge of His Service"|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Reformed Christian|
|Color(s)||Green & White|
|Athletics conference||Metro Suburban Conference|
|Average ACT scores (2015)||23.9|
Illiana Christian High School is a private, coeducational Christian school in Dyer, Indiana. It was founded in 1945 in Lansing, Illinois as a school for the children of Dutch Reformed immigrants in the area.
Illiana is founded on the Bible as interpreted in the Reformed confessions, namely The Canons of Dort, The Heidelberg Catechism, and The Belgic Confession. Illiana remains very closely tied to its original vision of preparing students to serve God through everything they do in all areas of life. Illiana students are expected to live a life consistent with Christian principles.
- Student faculty ratio: 15:1
- Average class size: 21
- Average ACT score: 23.9 with 85% taking test
- Tuition: $8,076.00 (14-15)
Illiana offers co-curricular activities for students.
Musical opportunities include Jazz Band, Pep Band, Symphonic/Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Musical, Acapella Choir, Concert Choir, Women’s Chorale, Freshmen Ensemble.
Athletic Opportunities for boys include Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, and Wrestling. Opportunities for girls include Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, and Volleyball.
Other activities include Bill of Rights Convention, Bowling, Care Convention, Chapel, Christian Service Club, Close-Up in the Capital, Drama, Fine Arts, Flag and Rifle Corp, Intramurals, Landlopers, Math Team, Newspaper (Called "Echo"), Scribes, Senior Service, Student Council, Tutor Team, and Yearbook (called "Spire").
Illiana has athletic teams available to all students: Men & Women. Men's Teams: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball & Wrestling. Women's Teams: Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, & Volleyball. Illiana's men's cross country team took second overall at the IHSA 2A state meet in 2013 and third overall in the IHSA 2A state meet in 2014.
- Recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education
- Accredited by the North Central Association
- Member of Christian Schools International
Affiliates and Feeder Schools
- Calvin Christian School (South Holland, IL)
- Crown Point Christian School (St. John, IN)
- Highland Christian School (Highland, IN)
- Lansing Christian School (Lansing, IL)
In March 2014, Illiana decided to pursue a move of its campus from Lansing, Illinois to St. John, Indiana (approximately 12 miles to the southeast). The reasons given for the move include the need for larger and more modern facilities and grounds as well as the migration of many of the school's families to Northwest Indiana. On April 21, 2016, the Illiana Christian High School Association purchased a 37 acres site at 10904 Calumet Ave in St. John for $833,208.75.
With the new school having construction costs of $25,000,000, fundraising efforts have raised $20,000,000 in cash and commitments from donors and the remaining $5,000,000 has been financed. On November 5, 2016, groundbreaking for the new school began on property located on the corner of 109th Ave and Calumet Ave (also known as "Shoe Corner") in the Hanover Township section of St. John. Along with construction of the new school, this area of St. John is seeing growth through the development of multiple subdivisions. This section of the town feeds into the Hanover Community School Corporation; however, with one of the feeder schools--Crown Point Christian School--being located a few miles east in St. John and the Lake Central Community School Corporation being located just to the north of 101st Ave, growth in Illiana Christian High School is expected to be fueled from families within both school districts due to the convenience of the location.
- "QUICK FACTS - Illiana Christian High School".
- Cronin, Tim. "Illiana Christian boys finish second in state cross country meet". nwi,com. North West Indiana Times. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Boys Cross Country Class 2A State Final Results — 2014-15". ihsa.org. Gravity Works. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "South suburban Christian school votes to move to Indiana".
- "Parcel Record Information". counties.azurewebsites.net.
- 662-5324, Rob Earnshaw email@example.com, (219). "New $25M Illiana Christian school destined for 'Shoe Corner'".