In Your Words
|"In Your Words"|
|Single by Rebecca Black|
|Released||November 23, 2012|
|Rebecca Black singles chronology|
The song's chorus.
"In Your Words" is an emotional midtempo acoustic guitar-driven country pop song, where Rebecca Black sings that she is "moving on/Cause you set me free/And I'm trying to be as much of myself as if you were here with me...", after breaking up with somebody. Black explained the song in a 2012 interview:
"In Your Words" is one of those songs that was really different for me…because the song that I released last year, "Person of Interest", was talking about a crush and all of that, but this one is a break up song. We wanted to take it more mature because my sound is becoming more mature. The song is about when you break up with someone and all of a sudden you’re just kind of stuck there. You’re stuck with the texts and everything.
Critical reactions to the song were positive, praising Rebecca Black's improved vocals and maturity from her previous releases. Mashable wrote: "The catchy song, set to a more leisurely tempo than her previous releases, may be one for the haters who have criticized her looks, singing and lyrics." YouTube commenters have also been positive on the song.
Filming for the video was finished in October 2012, and behind-the-scenes photos for the video were released less than a week after the video was done shooting. A teaser of the video was uploaded on November 9, 2012, and the video was officially released the same day as the single. Black said about the video:
The writing on those walls kind of represent everything that it made me feel, and how to let it out; kind of closure; acting out what the words meant and kind of how it makes me feel. There is a point when I’m on the roof of the house reading through letters, and just going through that idea of "the letters in the text."
- "Rebecca Black "In Your Words" (Video Premiere)".
- "iTunes - Music - In Your Words - Single by Rebecca Black". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-11-23. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- "Rebecca Black Returns, Releases "In Your Words"". The Hollywood Gossip. 2012-11-23. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "New Music: Rebecca Black - 'In Your Words'". Directlyrics.com. 2012-11-23. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Larsen, Peter (December 20, 2012). Rebecca Black prepares for concert debut in Anaheim. Orange County Register. Accessed from May 16, 2013.
- Rebecca Black "In Your Words" (VIDEO PREMIERE). josepvinaixa.com. November 23, 2012. Accessed from May 16, 2013.
- Cojulum, Gaby (December 21, 2012). Rebecca Black Talks Upcoming Concert, Ed Sheeran and More. Pop Direction. Accessed from May 16, 2013.
- Pan, Joann (November 24, 2012). Rebecca Black Shows Off Hidden Talent in New Music Video. Mashable. Accessed from May 16, 2013.
- Walgrove, Amanda (October 19, 2012). Rebecca Black Previews New Single “In Your Words”, Talks Bullying Prevention (EXCLUSIVE). What's Trending. Accessed from May 16, 2013.
- Teaser "In Your Words" Video Clip on YouTube. RB Records. November 9, 2012. Accessed from May 18, 2013.