Infopoverty is the name given to the Programme and the World Conference started in 2001, in the ambit of the United Nations, aimed to fight poverty towards the application of ICT, Information and Communication Technologies. The term has been coined in 1998 by Arch. Pierpaolo Saporito, Founder and President of OCCAM - Observatory on Digital Communication and Gerardo Zepeda-Bermudez, Vice-President and Member of the Board.
Infopoverty World Conference
The Infopoverty World Conference is the annual international conference, under the auspices of the United Nations, at the United Nations headquarters, New York, organized by OCCAM, together with the European Parliament, UNESCO, and other scientific and university institutions (Infopoverty Institute at Oklahoma University). At its 13th edition, the Infopoverty World Conference saw the participation of more than 100 international organizations,hundreds of from Governments, international and regional organizations, public and private institutions and the civil society and 63 countries.
The Infopoverty Programme transfers into concrete actions the orientations emerged from the Conference, realizing the ICT Villages, aimed to help the most disadvantaged communities.The first pilot projects were realized at San Ramon and San Pedro, Honduras, in cooperation with the local Ministry of Science and Technologies, following the devastation from Hurricane Mitch. These experiences were instrumental for the definition, thanks to the collaboration with the most important international institutions, of the ICT Village model, validated by the World Summit on the Information Society in Tunis, 2005, with the creation of the Borj Touil Village. Subsequently, the model was developed in Sambaina (Madagascar) which was proclaimed Millennium Village Project by the United Nations, and are in progress in Leshoto, in Peru and Ethiopia.
- Marketpress: Pierpaolo Saporito, Presidente di OCCAM, nominato High Level Advisor dell'alleanza globale delle Nazioni Unite per le ICT e lo sviluppo . Tale nomina, confermata con lettera del Vice Segretario Generale della Nazioni Unite, Jose Antonio Ocampo, rappresenta un importante riconoscimento dell'Onu per il lavoro svolto da Occam e dal Programma Infopoverty nella lotta alla povertà attraverso le nuove tecnologie della comunicazione e dell'informazione
- Quotidiano: Pierpaolo Saporito, presidente di OCCAM, fondatore insieme al Parlamento Europeo e le Nazioni Unite di Infopoverty
- Wikipedia: Infopoverty World Conference held at the United Nations
- : The Infopoverty Institute coordinates with the Observatory for Cultural and Audiovisual Communication (OCCAM) and collaborates with the international community in applying these services especially to impoverished communities around the world.
- Emmeplus: The Infopoverty Programme was started by the first Infopoverty World Conference Conference, organized by OCCAM in 2001 with the European Parliament, UNESCO Mediterranean Programme, UNIC and other scientific and universityThe Infopoverty Programme was started by the first Infopoverty World Conference Conference, organized by OCCAM in 2001 with the European Parliament, UNESCO Mediterranean Programme, UNIC and other scientific and university institutions
- :Article on the 13th Infopoverty World Conference in United Nations Non-Governmental Liaison Service e-bulletin
- [permanent dead link]:The past editions of the Infopoverty World Conference enjoyed the participation of more than 100 international organizations, 10000 participants from Governments
- ESA: Whole areas were left without either electricity or telephone. Two villages, however, Saint Ramon and San Pedro were supplied with solar energy and with satellite terminals allowing broadband connection to the Internet
- Infopoverty Programme – Mission Archived 26 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Crystalweb Archived 2 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine: Infopoverty Programme al summit mondiale sulla società dell'informazione
- Il sole 24 ore: Connettere il mondo per dare un aiuto ai poveri e agli emarginati
- : Madagascar's Millennium Village goes it alone.
- Regione Lombardia[permanent dead link]:..."Infopoverty World Conference 2011". In collegamento diretto anche..., il Lesotho e il Perù, dove sono in corso progetti realizzati nell'ambito dell'Infopoverty Programme