Ingrid Stölzel was born in Karlsruhe, Germany in 1971. She holds degrees in music from the University of Missouri, Kansas City, Conservatory of Music and Dance (Doctorate of Musical Arts in Composition; Bachelor of Music) and the University of Hartford - Hartt School of Music (Master of Music in Composition). Her principal composition teachers include Robert Carl, James Mobberley, James Sellars, Chen Yi and Zhou Long. Stölzel currently teaches composition at University of Kansas School of Music in Lawrence, Kansas.
Her music has been described as “tender and beautiful” (American Record Guide) and as creating a “haunting feeling of lyrical reflection and suspension in time and memory” (Classical-Modern Review). At the heart of her compositions is a belief that music can create profound emotional connections with the listener. Stölzel’s compositions have been performed in concert halls and festivals, including the Beijing Modern Music Festival, Festival of New Music at Florida State, Festival of New American Music, SoundOn Festival of Modern Music, International Alliance of Women in Music Congress and IC[CM] International Conference on Contemporary Music, among others. She has received commissions and performances from leading ensembles and performers, including the California E.A.R. Unit, Third Angle, Adaskin String Trio, ensemble s21, San Diego New Music, Volti, Khorikos, and Van Cliburn International Piano Competition Gold Medalist, Stanislav Ioudenitch. Her music is released on Navona Records.
She is the winner of the RED NOTE Composition Competition, 2014 Ortus International New Music Competition, Cayuga Chamber Orchestra Composers Competition, Arizona Pro Arte Competition and NewMusic@ECU Composition Competition.
- "14 JANUARY 2019". DONNE365. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- "Ingrid Stolzel biography". ingridstolzel.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- Edwards, Grego Applegate (2012-04-03). "Gapplegate Classical-Modern Music Review: Claviatures: Modern Chamber Works". Gapplegate Classical-Modern Music Review. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Navona Records :: Fine Music". www.navonarecords.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Past Winners of the RED NOTE Composition Composition | College of Fine Arts - Illinois State". finearts.illinoisstate.edu. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- Khorikos (2014-03-05), KHORIKOS Presents: ORTUS 2014 - Composer Ingrid Stölzel, retrieved 2016-12-20
- "Return to Genesis: Cayuga Chamber to Perform 'Creation'". Ithaca Times. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Call for Scores – Arizona Pro Arte Ensemble". www.azproarte.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "History | NewMusic Initiative | School of Music". www.ecu.edu. Retrieved 2016-12-20.