Ingrid Stölzel was born in Karlsruhe, Germany in 1971. She holds degrees in music from the University of Missouri, Kansas City, Conservatory of Music and Dance (Doctorate of Musical Arts in Composition; Bachelor of Music) and the University of Hartford - Hartt School of Music (Master of Music in Composition). Her principal composition teachers include Robert Carl, James Mobberley, James Sellars, Chen Yi and Zhou Long. Stölzel currently teaches composition at University of Kansas School of Music in Lawrence, Kansas.
Composer Ingrid Stölzel has been described as having “a gift for melody”(San Francisco Classical Voice) and “evoking a sense of longing” that creates “a reflective and serene soundscape that makes you want to curl up on your windowsill to re-listen on a rainy day.” Her music has been described as “tender and beautiful” (American Record Guide) and as creating a “haunting feeling of lyrical reflection and suspension in time and memory” (Classical-Modern Review). At the heart of her compositions is a belief that music can create profound emotional connections with the listener.
Awards include the Suzanne and Lee Ettelson Composer's Award,  the RED NOTE Composition Competition, Robert Avalon International Competition for Composers, Kaleidoscope Chamber Orchestra Competition,  Ortus International New Music Competition, Cayuga Chamber Orchestra Composers Competition, Arizona Pro Arte Competition and NewMusic@ECU Composition Competition, among others.
- "14 JANUARY 2019". DONNE365. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- "Ingrid Stolzel biography". ingridstolzel.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Kaleidoscope Chamber Orchestra Showcases Women Composers".
- "Ingrid Stölzel's the Gorgeous Nothings: On Vocal Style and Longing". 12 October 2018.
- Edwards, Grego Applegate (2012-04-03). "Gapplegate Classical-Modern Music Review: Claviatures: Modern Chamber Works". Gapplegate Classical-Modern Music Review. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "List of Winners". 21 April 2014.
- "Past Winners of the RED NOTE Composition Composition | College of Fine Arts - Illinois State". finearts.illinoisstate.edu. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "History". 12 June 2018.
- "Kaleidoscope Chamber Orchestra".
- Khorikos (2014-03-05), KHORIKOS Presents: ORTUS 2014 - Composer Ingrid Stölzel, retrieved 2016-12-20
- "Return to Genesis: Cayuga Chamber to Perform 'Creation'". Ithaca Times. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Call for Scores – Arizona Pro Arte Ensemble". www.azproarte.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "History | NewMusic Initiative | School of Music". www.ecu.edu. Retrieved 2016-12-20.