|• Total||50.22 km2 (19.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||915 m (3,002 ft)|
|• Density||3.4/km2 (8.9/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Einsiedeln, Glarus (GL), Muotathal, Näfels (GL), Oberurnen (GL), Schübelbach, Unteriberg, Vorderthal|
Innerthal is first mentioned in 1259 as Wegental. Until 1888 it was known as Hinterwäggithal.
As of 2006[update] Innerthal has an area of 50.2 km2 (19.4 sq mi). Of this area, 34.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 34.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (30.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located on Wägitalersee, a reservoir in the upper Wägital.
Innerthal has a population (as of 31 December 2018) of 173. As of 2007[update], 2.1% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 5%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (97.0%), with Italian being second most common ( 1.8%) and Rhaeto-romance being third ( 0.6%).
As of 2000[update] the gender distribution of the population was 48.5% male and 51.5% female. The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Innerthal is; 46 people or 27.5% of the population is between 0 and 19. 44 people or 26.3% are 20 to 39, and 56 people or 33.5% are 40 to 64. The senior population distribution is 15 people or 9.0% are 65 to 74. There are 6 people or 3.6% who are 70 to 79 and no one is over 80.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Innerthal about 44.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Innerthal has an unemployment rate of 0%. As of 2005[update], there were 22 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 10 businesses involved in this sector. 41 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 8 businesses in this sector.
From the 2000 census[update], 156 or 93.4% are Roman Catholic, while 8 or 4.8% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. There are less than 5 individuals who belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and less than 5 individuals did not answer the question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Innerthal has an average of 170.8 days of rain per year and on average receives 2,246 mm (88.4 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is June during which time Innerthal receives an average of 284 mm (11.2 in) of precipitation. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 17.1 days. The driest month of the year is October with an average of 131 mm (5.2 in) of precipitation over 17.1 days.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Innerthal in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine accessed 02-Sep-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 23 September 2019
- Canton Schwyz Statistics Archived 2011-06-09 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 27 August 2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 908 meters above sea level.