|Founded||San Francisco, California, USA in November 2011|
|Alison Johnston, Dan Johnston, Joey Shurtleff (cofounders)|
InstaEDU (acquired in June 2014 by Chegg and rebranded as Chegg Tutors) is an online tutoring company that matches students who need help with online tutors. Students can receive help either on-demand or by scheduling a lesson.
InstaEDU was founded in 2011 and launched into public beta in May 2012. At that time, the company also announced that it had raised $1.1M in venture capital funding from The Social+Capital Partnership. Two of the company's cofounders had previously run an in-home tutoring company called Cardinal Scholars. After running Cardinal Scholars they got the idea for an online tutoring company—InstaEDU. In July 2012 they sold Cardinal Scholars to Course Hero. In August 2013, the service announced it had raised a $4 million Series A round of funding from Battery Ventures. At that time, the InstaEDU service also came out of beta.
Students can visit InstaEDU and get matched with a tutor on-demand. InstaEDU allows students to browse tutor profiles and schedule lessons with a specific tutor. The InstaEDU lesson space uses video chat, text chat, a white board, a document editor, code editor, screen sharing and a file uploader to allow students and tutors to work together. In April 2014, the site announced that it was mobile-friendly; the mobile site supports messaging, scheduling and written lessons.
InstaEDU has been featured on The Today Show as a great job for students over the summer and included in a write up in the Wall Street Journal on online tutoring. Mashable listed InstaEDU first in a write up of dependable sources for online tutoring. CEO and cofounder Alison Johnston Rue was named to Forbes 30 under 30 in Education in January 2014.
- "Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor on InstaEDU".
- "InstaEDU On-Demand Video Tutoring Gets An A+ and $1.1M Seed From The Social+Capital Partnership".
- Constine, Josh. "EduTech Team-Up: Course Hero Buys Cardinal Scholars In-Person Tutoring Business From InstaEDU". TechCrunch. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Taylor, Colleen. "Online Tutoring Platform InstaEDU Raises $4 Million Series A Led By Battery Ventures". TechCrunch. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Griffith, Erin. "Chegg buys InstaEDU in transition away from book rentals". Fortune Magazine. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "InstaEDU: On-Demand Tutoring for Instant Homework Help!".
- Clemens, Ben. "http://blog.instaedu.com/2014/04/14/mobile-friendly-instaedu/". External link in
- "How teens can earn extra cash over the summer". The Today Show.
- Shellenbarger, Sue. "Invasion of the Online Tutors". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Fox, Zoe. "Dependable Destinations for Online Tutoring". Mashable.
- Howard, Caroline. "Forbes 30 under 30: Education". Forbes.