Instituto Lingüístico de Verano (Mexico)
The Instituto Lingüístico de Verano A.C. (abbreviated ILV, in English: Summer Institute of Linguistics (in Mexico)) is a non-profit organization incorporated in Mexico with the legal status of a civil association (Asociación Civil). It is the affiliate body in Mexico to the overarching parent organization SIL International, a worldwide U.S.-based evangelical Protestant organization that sponsors the study, documentation and development of indigenous and minority languages across the world. ILV in Mexico was formally established in 1948, with a stated focus on the study and documentation of the indigenous languages of Mexico and involvement with Mexico's indigenous peoples' affairs generally. The Institute publishes dictionaries, grammars and other literacy and education materials in many of the indigenous languages, and it is also a sponsor of language workshops, presentations and conferences. As a body with ongoing degrees of association and sponsorship of Christian missionary activities and goals, ILV also works to produce translations of Biblical texts in local languages.
While its work in the fields of linguistics and cultural anthropology has been lauded and recognized as substantial and positive contributions in many quarters, some of the ILV's activities have also attracted criticism and controversy with a number of anthropologists and other commentators severely criticizing its relations with Evangelical proselytism, and also alleging political involvement, pro-U.S. stance and acculturation policies.
- Miguez Bonino (1994, pp.589–590)
- Miguez Bonino, José (1994). "The Protestant churches in Latin America since 1930". In Leslie Bethell (ed.). The Cambridge History of Latin America, vol. 6: 1930 to the Present. Part 1, Economy and Society. Cambridge History of Latin America series. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. pp. 583–604. ISBN 0-521-23226-0. OCLC 185674959.
- Hvalkof, Søren, and Peter Aaby (eds.): Is God an American? An Anthropological Perspective on the Missionary Work of the Summer Institute of Linguistics (A Survival International Document, International Workgroup for Indigenous Affairs, Copenhagen/London 1981), ISBN 87-980717-2-6.
- Stoll, David. 1983 Fishers of Men or Founders of Empire? The Wycliffe Bible Translators in Latin America. A US Evangelical Mission in the Third World (London, Zed Press 1983)
- Todd Hartch. 2006. Missionaries of the State: The Summer Institute of Linguistics, State Formation, and Indigenous Mexico, 1935-1985. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 2006.
- Instituto Lingüístico de Verano A.C., main website (in English) (in Spanish)
|This article about an organization in Mexico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about area studies is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a linguistics organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|