Insurrection (Young novel)
|Publisher||Hodder and Stoughton|
|14 October 2010|
|Media type||Print, E-book|
Insurrection is the first novel in Robyn Young's Insurrection trilogy, her fourth book overall, published on 14 October 2010 through Hodder and Stoughton. The story is based on the exploits of the historical Robert the Bruce.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2011)|
The novel is based around the Scottish Wars of Independence and in particular the actions of Robert the Bruce, set in the late 13th and early 14th centuries.
Insurrection was well received, with reviewers praising the novels successful evocation of this little-documented period of the Middle Ages.
Toby Clements, in a review for The Daily Telegraph, stated that the novel is "immaculately researched and carefully written, evoking a very particular – and largely unexplored – time and place." and also commented that "the fights are sensational, too.". Reviewing for The Daily Mail, Kathy Stevenson stated "Young’s fans will not be disappointed as she meticulously ploughs through the sweep of history and brings to life one of its most enigmatic characters.". Mark Scala, reviewing for Australia's The Daily Telegraph, commented that "this tale captures the struggles of a tumultuous time.".
Scott Wilson, of on-line review site The Fringe Magazine was more critical than most, citing the novels factual inaccuracies as a possible point of contention for readers. He states that "those who like their historical fiction to be 100% factual will find many points to complain about" and comments that his wife "likes historical fiction and could not get into this book because of this". Tempering that, however, Wilson states that the book is "well-paced, with visceral and believable battles scenes".
- "Insurrection by Robyn Young - Lovereading UK". Lovereading.co.uk. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Young, Robyn (1 March 2011). "WHAT'S IN A NAME…? | Robyn Young's Blog". Robynyoung.com. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Clements, Toby (9 December 2010). "Genre: Historical Thrillers". Telegraph. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Kathy Stevenson (25 November 2010). "Historical Fiction | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Scala, Mark (9 December 2010). "Books, CDs, DVDs and games | thetelegraph.com.au". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Wilson, Scott (27 November 2010). "Book Review: Insurrection by Robyn Young ~ The Fringe Magazine". Thefringemagazine.blogspot.com. Retrieved 8 November 2011.