International Biographical Centre
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
The International Biographical Centre is a publisher owned by Melrose Press Ltd that specializes in producing biographical publications, such as the Dictionary of International Biography and other awards. It is based in Ely, Cambridgeshire in the United Kingdom. Government consumer advocates have described it as a 'scam' or as 'pretty tacky'.
The International Biographical Centre creates "awards" and offers them widely. In the mid-2000s, awards cost the recipient between US$375 and $495 each, but as of 2010 the cost can be as high as $395 for a Commemorative Medal or US$440 for a laminated certificate. It has no relationship to Cambridge University.
Like the American Biographical Institute, the IBC states that "entry into our books is based on merit alone and we never charge for inclusion." Individuals who pay for inclusion receive a larger entry and are offered specially crafted awards. Further, merit selection is less rigorous with the IBC sending "invitations" to selected sources who nominate others or are nominated by a third party. It is also possible to nominate a person, an organization, or oneself on their website for later inclusion.
American Biographical Institution (Inc.) gives awards like Man of The Year, Scientific Award of the Excellence to many people in a year and the person may be same at a time. Every award can be purchased from them.
In 2007, referring to the International Biographical Centre, the American Bibliographical Institute and Marquis Who's Who, Jan Margosian, consumer information coordinator for the Oregon Department of Justice, warned consumers to be wary and called the companies "pretty tacky", adding "I don't know why they would put you in there if they weren't hoping to get you to buy the book.. "You truly have to look at how they are marketing and what the spin is. It's something you might want to watch out for."
- "The material promoting the International Biographical Centre creates a false impression about the credentials of the organisation. It also wrongly implies that the receiver of the letter has been picked through a special research process considering their work and qualifications."
It quoted blog users who describe the publications as a "Who’s Who of gullible people".
The IBC does not publish any consolidated list of the honours, awards and medals it offers. This list, which may not be complete, was compiled via web searches. [Awards cost from a few US dollars to thousands of dollars][clarification needed]
- Archimedes Award
- Associate of the International Biographical Centre
- Certificate of Appointment - Honorary Governor and Member of the Board of Governors
- Certificate of Diploma of Annual Fellowship
- Certificate of Distinction
- Certificate of Inclusion as Honorary Member of the International Biographical Centre Advisory Council
- Certificate of Proclamation - Outstanding Speaker Award of the 20th Century
- Certificate of World Leadership
- Companion of Honour, Defensor Elegentiae
- Da Vinci Diamond
- Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man Diploma
- Decree of Membership of the Order of International Fellowship
- Decree of Merit
- Deputy Director General International Biographical Centre
- Dictionary of International Biography
- Diploma of Authority - Deputy Director-General (America Division)
- Diploma of Distinction
- Diploma of Life Fellowship
- Distinguished Leader's Plaque of Honour
- Distinguished Service to Humankind Award
- Eminent Personalities of India
- First 500 in the World
- Global Year of Excellence
- Gold Star Award Certificate of Achievement
- Governor, Board of Governors of the International Biographical Association
- Greatest Living Legend
- Hall of Fame
- Honorary Doctorate of Letters at $2,480.00 or £1,600
- Honourable Director-General for the Americas
- International Ambassador of Goodwill
- International Engineer of the Year
- International Hippocrates Award for Medical Achievement
- International Leaders in Achievement
- International Man of the Millennium
- International Man of the Year
- International Medal of Honour
- International Musician of the Year
- International Order of Merit Illuminated Testimonial
- International Order of Merit
- International Order of Distinction
- International Personality of the Year
- International Plato Award for Educational Achievement
- International Professional of the Year
- International Register of Profiles
- International Scientist of the Year Testimonial
- International Shakespeare Award for Literary Achievement
- Kings College Diploma
- Leader of Achievement
- Leading Educators of the World
- Leading Engineers of the World
- Leading Health Professional of the World
- Leading Philosopher of the World
- Leading Professionals of the World
- Leading Scientist of the World
- Life Fellow of the International Biographical Centre
- Life Patron of the International Biographical Centre
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lifetime of Achievement One Hundred
- Lifetime of Scientific Achievement
- Living Legend
- Living Science Award
- Man of the Year
- Medical Man of the Year
- Men & Women of Distinction
- Meritorious Decoration
- One-in-a-Million Medal
- One Thousand Great Americans
- One Thousand Great Intellectuals Medal and/or Plaque
- Order of International Fellowship
- Order of International Fellowship Peace Prize
- Outstanding Educators Worldwide
- Outstanding Scientist of the 20th Century
- Outstanding Scientist of the 21st Century
- Outstanding Intellectual of the 21st Century Award (Purchase cost A$1000)
- Outstanding Intellectual of the 21st Century Diploma
- Outstanding Intellectual of the 21st Century Medal
- Outstanding People of the 21st Century
- Outstanding Speaker Award
- Outstanding Scientific Achievement
- Pi Diploma
- Plaque of Warrant of Proclamation as International Man of the Year
- Salute to Greatness Award
- Top 100 Engineers 2013 (certificate and medal for $795USD/£495)
- Top 100 Health Professionals 2010 (certificate and medal for US$795/£495)
- Ultimate Achiever Award
- Vice-Consul of the International Biographical Centre
- Vice President of the World Congress of Arts, Science and Communications
- Who’s Who in the 21st Century
- World Peace and Diplomacy Forum, Life Member
- World Wide Honours List
- 20th Century Award for Achievement
- 21st Century Achievement Award
- 21st Century Award for Achievement (Bronze Medal of Honour)
- 21st Century Award for Achievement (Silver Medal of Honour)
- 21st Century Award for Achievement (Illuminated Diploma of Honour)
- 2000 Intellectuals of the 21st Century
- 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 20th Century
- 500 Founders of the 21st Century
Government leaders who state IBC affiliation
- Jona Senilagakali, interim Fijian Prime Minister.
- Yahya Jammeh, President of Gambia 
- Corneliu Vadim Tudor, leader of the Greater Romania Party (Partidul România Mare)
- Adrian Severin, Romanian politician and Member of the European Parliament 
- Mohammad Mehdi Zahedi, Iranian minister.
- Hamid Behbahani, Iranian minister.
- Örstan, Aydin (2005-08-17). "Open Letter to the Wise Guys at the International Biographical Centre". Snail's Tales. Germantown, Maryland. Site also contains the beginning of an IBC letter and "Order Form" for International Scientist of the Year 2005.
- Baldwin, Matthew (2002-11-01). "Nerd Scam". Defective Yeti. Seattle, Washington.
- Hirsh, C. D. (2004-04-20). "Consumer affairs: International Biographical Centre" (PDF). Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). Parliament of Victoria. p. 255. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "About the IBC". Ely, Cambridgeshire: International Biographical Centre. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "Research". Ely, Cambridgeshire: International Biographical Centre. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "Submit your Biography". Ely, Cambridgeshire: International Biographical Centre. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "Paying for prestige:the cost of recognition". Vanguard (Portland, Oregon). February 15, 2007. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Scam of International Biographical Centre". Commerce Ministry, Government of Western Australia. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Professor Sir John Oluwole Ogunranti Personal Data". Oluwole Ogunranti Personal Webpage. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Ethiopians receive prestigious awards - link on Ethiopian Embassy website expired, copy preserved by Archive.org
- "The Official Robert M. Hensel Website". Robert M. Hensel Personal Webpage. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Robert Pwee Kong Joo Biographical Questionaire". docstoc.com CV of Robert Pwee Kong Joo. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "SRINIVASAN GOPALAKRISHNAN". HYDRODRIVE SYSTEMS AND CONTROLS PVT. LTD. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Photo of International Professional of the Year award
- "A life fellow in 1997 cost 795 British Pounds
- "Ethiopians receive prestigious awards
- Photo of the Award
- "Recipients of CU's Honorary Doctoral Degrees, entry: Ikejiaku, Emmanuel Omenachi". Cosmopolitan University. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- James Chessell, "Greed" The Age, 11 Feb 2003
- "Professor Sir Dr. Tan Man Ho". FOURTHWAY MANHO CENTER. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Professor Dhanjoo Ghista Biographical Listings". The Website of Professor Dhanjoo Ghista. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Fiji Times Article
- His official CV showing the awards
- Official European Parliament profile
- Mehr news agency
- International Biographical Centre website
- Photos of some of the IBC medals
- Rothke, Ben (2009-08-04). "What's What with the Who's Who? Who would be so foolish as to pay for inclusion in a Who's Who book that no one reads?". CSOonline.com. Framingham, Massachusetts: CXO Media.