International Finno-Ugric Students’ Conference
IFUSCO (International Finno-Ugric Students' Conference) is an annual international conference for and by the students of Finno-Ugric languages.
IFUSCO conference contains presentations on linguistics, ethnography, folkloristics, archaeology, history, museology, literature, translation theory, sociology, law, music, mythology, regional issues, education, economics etc., that are connected to the life of Finno-Ugric peoples. Presentation, abstracts and slides languages are made in all Finno-Ugric languages as well as English, German and Russian.
IFUSCO was created in 1984 in Göttingen by local students of Finno-Ugric studies, to facilitate contact between other students. The conference was initially a small gathering that mainly served as a forum and as a way of exchanging information. The first IFUSCO had 26 participants from the Netherlands (Groningen) and Germany (Göttingen, Hamburg). Later it has turned into a conference format where lectures are given by and for students, and every year it is organized in a different city by a different university.
There have been 32 IFUSCOs, as in 2001 the conference was canceled. The first conference on the territory of Russia was held in 1999 in Syktyvkar.
The list of locations and dates of the Conferences:
Göttingen: May 25–27, 1984
Pécs: May 20–25, 1998
Syktyvkar: May 10–14, 1999
Tallinn: August 3–7, 2000
Helsinki: September 11–15, 2002
Syktyvkar: September 24–26, 2003
Budapest: May 3–8, 2004
Izhevsk: May 12–15, 2005
Yoshkar-Ola: May 12–15, 2006
Saransk: May 15–19, 2007
Helsinki: May 14–18, 2008
Petrozavodsk: May 14–16, 2009
Kudymkar: May 14–16, 2010
Budapest: May 9–11, 2011
Tartu: May 8–11, 2012
Syktyvkar: May 6–8, 2013
Pécs: April 16–19, 2015
Helsinki: September 15–18, 2016
Warsaw: September 18-22, 2017
Tartu: May 2-5, 2018
Vienna: Spring, 2019
Every hosting students’ committee is presenting a unique emblem of the year event that serves as a logo for the whole conference.
Conference IFUSCO – 2016
Originally IFUSCO was supposed to be held in Khanty-Mansiysk on 7–9 April 2016. It was postponed twice before finally being cancelled. However, the Finnish students of Finno-Ugric studies organized its small version at the University of Helsinki in order to keep the tradition.
- "University of Tartu to Host Finno-Ugric Students Conference IFUSCO".
- "The 17th International Finno-Ugric Students' Conference in Tallinn".
- Hasselblatt, Cornelius 1985: 2. Internationaler finnougristischer Studentkongress in Hamburg, Finnisch-ugrische Mitteilungen 9. 241-244.
- York, E. 1986: Internationaler Finnougrischer Studentenkongress in Groningen. Finnisch-urgische Mitteilungen 11. 211-213.
- Hasselblatt, Cornelius 1987: IFUSCO zum vierten Mal, Finnisch-ugrische Mitteilungen 11. 215-220.
- Grünthal, Riho 1989: IFUSCO 1988: proceedings of the Fifth International Finno-Ugrist Students’ Conference, Helsinki, 22-26 May 1988, in: Castrenianumin toimitteita 35. University of Helsinki, Helsinki.
- Wilske, Detlef 1990: 6. Internationale Finnisch-ugrische Studentenkonferenz (IFUSCO VI) – Nordeuropa 27, 192|Wien, May 14–18, 1989.
- Junttila, Santeri – Hübner, Julia 2012: IFUSCO auf Estnisch, Finnisch-Ugrische Mitteilungen 36, 183-185.
- Brosin, Elke 1992: VIIIth International Fenno-Ugrist Students’ Conference: Greifswald, 19.-23. Mai 1991; Konferenzband, Greifswald Ernst-Moritz-Arndt Universität.
- Herde, Sari 1997: IFUSCO 1996: Vorträge der XIII Internationalen Finnougristik-Studenten-Konferenz Hamburg, 24-28 April 1996, Finnisch-Ugrisches Seminar, Univ. Hamburg, Hamburg.
- Wendt, Andreas: 14. Internationale Finno-Ugristik Studentenkonferenz (IFUSCO) : Turku und Helsinki 20.-24. April 1997 – Finnisch-Ugrische Mitteilungen 20. 167–170.
- "IFUSCO comes back to "fatherland" from Syktyvkar".
- "The 2016 International Finno-Ugrist Students' Conference IFUSCO will be held in Helsinki".