International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature
International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature and Media
|Focus||Empirical study of literature|
The International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature and Media (IGEL: Internationale Gesellschaft für Empirische Literaturwissenschaft) is a learned society with the object of promoting empirical approach to the study of literature and culture.
The society was founded in 1987 by Siegfried J. Schmidt of the University of Siegen. In 2010 IGEL became a registered society; it is registered as a Foundation in the Netherlands. The actual president is the psychologist Don Kuiken.
The Society is led by a governing board. Members of the board are the president, a vice-president, treasurer, secretary, member at large, journal editor, and student representative. The board is elected at the bi-annual meeting usually held in August/September for a two or four-year term. Presidents of IGEL:
- 1987-1988: Siegfried J. Schmidt, University of Siegen
- 1988-1990: Elrud Ibsch, VU University Amsterdam
- 1990-1992: Arthur C. Graesser, University of Memphis
- 1992-1994: László Halász, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 1994-1996: Steven Tötösy de Zepetnek, University of Alberta
- 1996-1998: Els B. Andringa, Utrecht University
- 1998-2000: Gerald C. Cuphik, University of Toronto
- 2000-2002: János László, University of Pécs
- 2002-2004: David S. Miall, University of Alberta
- 2004-2006: Willie van Peer, University of Munich
- 2006-2008: Max Louwerse, University of Memphis
- 2008-2012: Marisa Bortolussi, University of Alberta
- 2012-2016: Frank Hakemulder, Utrecht University
- 2016-2020: Don Kuiken, University of Alberta
The Society holds biennial conferences, alternating between Europe and North America.
- 1987: Siegen
- 1990: Amsterdam
- 1992: Memphis
- 1994: Budapest
- 1996: Edmonton
- 1998: Utrecht
- 2000: Toronto
- 2002: Pécs
- 2004: Edmonton
- 2006: München
- 2008: Memphis
- 2010: Utrecht
- 2012: Montreal
- 2014: Torino
- 2016: Chicago
- Cognitive linguistics
- Cognitive philology
- Cognitive poetics
- Cognitive psychology
- Empirical study of literature
- Literary theory
- "S.J. Schmidt, Empirical studies in literature and the media today : Welcoming speech to the participants of the first IGEL-conference University of Siegen (FRG), 9–12 December, 1987". Poetics 18,1 (1989), pp. 1-6. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Don Kuiken's Website". Website at the University of Alberta.
- "IGEL 2014 Torino Conference". University of Torino. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "IGEL 2016 Chicago Conference". University of Chicago. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "SSOL". Publisher’s Website.
- Official Website
- On Twitter: @igelsociety, #igelsociety
- Society for the Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity and the Arts
- International Association of Empirical Aesthetics (IAEA)
- Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA)
- Society for the History of Authorship, Reading & Publishing (SHARP)
- Society for Text and Discourse
- On Fiction. The Psychology of Fiction
- Literature, Cognition and Brain