Into the Straight
|Into the Straight|
|Directed by||T. O. McCreadie|
|Produced by||T. O. McCreadie
Alec McCreadie (executive)
|Written by||Zelma Roberts|
|Music by||Wilbur Sampson|
|Edited by||Alex Ezard
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|15 July 1949|
Into the Straight is a 1949 Australian horse racing melodrama directed by T. O. McCreadie.
The Curzons, an Australian horse racing family, are visited by an English horse trainer, Hugh Duncan, and his playboy son, Paul. Both men fall for June Curzon. However, after she is crippled in an accident Paul loses interest, and she realises she loves Hugh.
With Hugh's encouragement, June writes a piano concerto and learns to walk again. Her brother, the weak Sam Curzon, steals money from his father to pay gambling debts and allows Paul to take the blame. However, a horse secretly trained by Paul wins the Melbourne Cup.
- James Workman as Hugh Duncan
- Charles Tingwell as Sam Curzon
- Margo Lee as Zara Marlowe
- Muriel Steinbeck as Mrs Curzon
- Nonnie Peifer as June Curzon
- Shirley Hall as Bunty
- George Randall as W.J. Curzon
- Alan White as Paul Duncan
Shooting began in June 1948, on location in Scone, New South Wales, and at the studio of Commonwealth Film Laboratories in Sydney. The Victoria Racing Club allowed a re-creation of the Melbourne Cup to be shot at Flemington Racecourse and scenes were also filmed at Randwick Racecourse. Several jockeys made cameos in the film, including Jack Purtell and George Moore.
The film featured a piano concerto which took up several minutes of screen time.
The film was well received in Perth but only had a short run in Sydney and Melbourne.
- "Films You Will Soon Be Seeing:: Studio Gossip:: Short Story "Into The Straight"—Australian Racing Film.". The Sydney Morning Herald. National Library of Australia. 5 January 1950. p. 8. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Jockeys In The Films.". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 29 July 1948. p. 18. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Background To Turf Story.". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 1 July 1949. p. 12. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "PURTELL TO RIDE IN RACE FILM.". The Barrier Miner. Broken Hill, NSW: National Library of Australia. 16 September 1948. p. 8. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper, Australian Film 1900–1977: A Guide to Feature Film Production, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1998, 208.
- Into the Straight at the Internet Movie Database
- Into the Straight at Australian Screen Online
- Into the Straight at Oz Movies
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|