Irish Sport Horse
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Conservation status||FAO (2007):not at risk:66|
|Country of origin||Ireland|
|Colour||dark colours, grey|
The Irish Sport Horse, or Irish Hunter, is an Irish breed of warmblood sporting horse, used mostly for dressage, eventing and show-jumping. It was bred from 1923 by cross-breeding of Irish Draught and Thoroughbred stock. There was some limited intromission of Hanoverian, Selle Français and Trakehner blood in the 1990s.:467 It is a recognised true breed – foals may only be registered in the main section of the stud-book if both parents are registered in that section.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2019)
The Irish Sport Horse is a successful competition riding horse, used in dressage, show-jumping and three-day eventing. The Irish Sport Horse Studbook is often highly placed in the annual eventing rankings of the World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses, and was in first place in each year from 2012 to 2016.
- Barbara Rischkowsky, D. Pilling (eds.) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Accessed October 2014.
- "The Irish Draught Sport Horse". Irish Draught Horse Society of North America.
- Valerie Porter, Lawrence Alderson, Stephen J.G. Hall, D. Phillip Sponenberg (2016). Mason's World Encyclopedia of Livestock Breeds and Breeding (sixth edition). Wallingford: CABI. ISBN 9781780647944.
- "Irish Sport Horse Studbook". Horse Sport Ireland. Archived from the original on 14 March 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rules and Practices Relating to the Irish Horse Register. Horse Sport Ireland. Archived 2 July 2013.
- "WBFSH Rankings 2012". The World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses. Archived from the original on 13 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "WBFSH Rankings 2013" (PDF). The World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses.
- "WBFSH Rankings 2014" (PDF). The World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses.
- "WBFSH Rankings 2015" (PDF). The World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses.[permanent dead link]
- "WBFSH Rankings 2016" (PDF). The World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses.