|Born||March 18, 1919|
(m. after 2001)
|Education||University of Illinois (M.D.)|
|Field||Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis|
|Institutions||Cook County Hospital|
Tulane University School of Medicine
LSU School of Medicine
New Orleans Psychoanalytic Institute
Irwin M. Marcus (born March 18, 1919) is an American board certified psychiatrist, neurologist, psychoanalyst, medical educator, artist and sculptor. He has been a practicing psychiatrist, sex therapist, marriage counselor, psychoanalyst, child psychiatrist and family counselor for over six decades. Marcus started the Child Psychiatry Program at Tulane University School of Medicine in 1952, he is a Founder and former President of the New Orleans Psychoanalytic Institute, Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at LSU School of Medicine, and is considered a psychoanalytic scholar.
In June 2012, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry named Marcus a Distinguished and Life Member. He is also a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
Marcus's writings are reflected in his authorship or co-authorship in hundreds of published medical articles, chapters and books on various aspects of sex therapy, marriage counseling, child psychiatry, family counseling, psychoanalysis and medical education, as well as ethical, socio-economic and philosophic discussions in these fields.
- Marcus, Irwin M. (2004). Why Men Have Affairs?. New Orleans: Bon Temps Press. ISBN 978-0975359204. LCCN 2004104195. OCLC 56315166.
- Marcus, Irwin M.; Francis, John J. (1979). La masturbazione [Masturbation: From infancy to senescence] (in Italian). Translated by Maura Pizzorno. Milano: Feltrinelli. OCLC 450626870.
- Marcus, Irwin M.; Francis, John J. (1975). Masturbation: From infancy to senescence. New York: International Universities Press. ISBN 978-0823631506. LCCN 73016855. OCLC 1176970.
- Marcus, Irwin M. (1972). Currents in Psychoanalysis. New York: International Universities Press. ISBN 978-0823611058. LCCN 74139116. OCLC 309230.
- Marcus, Irwin M. (1960). An interdisciplinary approach to accident patterns in children. Lafayette, IN: Child Development Publications of the Society for Research in Child Development. LCCN 60002550. OCLC 1082420.
- Newton, Niles (1957). Gyorgy, Paul; Marcus, Irwin M.; Montgomery, Thaddeus L. (eds.). The Family Book of Child Care. New York: Published by Harper & Row. ASIN B0006AU6L2. LCCN 55008058. OCLC 1347503.
- Marcus, Irwin M. (1956). Psychoanalytic Group Therapy with Fathers of Emotionally Disturbed Preschool Children. New Orleans: Tulane University. ASIN B000K7SLIG.
- "Tulane University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry & Neurology, Child and Adolescent section History". /tulane.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "American College of Psychoanalysts" (PDF). /acopsa.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Kintish, L., & Marcus, I. (1973). U.S. Patent No. 3,750,582. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- "American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry". /aacap.org. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "American Psychiatric Association". /psychiatry.org. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Hon. Richard J. Elrod, Cook County Circuit Judge and dedicated and beloved civic leader and public servant, passed away at the age of 80". Chicago Tribune. 2014-04-21.
- Marshall, Keith (2015-11-05). "Angela Hill finds high-rise happiness in a New Orleans aerie with Irwin Marcus". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- Angela Hill hosts 100th birthday celebration for husband Irwin Marcus
- Shelton, Melinda (2019-03-17). "Angela Hill hosts 100th birthday celebration for husband Irwin Marcus". nola.com. Retrieved 2019-05-30. archived