Sugawara is a native of Nerima, Tokyo, and a graduate of Waseda University. After an unsuccessful contest in 1990, he was elected to the assembly of Nerima, Tokyo, for the first time in 1991 serving for two terms. Having served in the prefectural assembly of Tokyo since 1997, he ran unsuccessfully for the House of Representatives in 2000. He ran again three years later and was elected for the first time.
His profile on the LPD website:
- Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly Member
- Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Labour and Welfare (Abe Cabinet)
- Deputy Secretary-General of LDP
- Deputy Director, Health, Labor and Welfare Division of LDP
- Director, Economy, Trade and Industry Division of LDP
- Senior Vice Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry
Affiliated to the openly revisionist and monarchist lobby Nippon Kaigi, Sugawara supports the amendment of the Constitution of Japan, and a revision of the Constitution to allow the right of collective self-defense. He is opposed to the project that would allow women in the Imperial family to retain their Imperial status even after marriage, and to the plan to end all nuclear power plants by the end of the 2030s.
- jimin.jp/english/profile/members/114766.html - LDP website - retrieved Nov 19, 2014
- Nippon Kaigi website
- Mainichi questionnaire 2012 - senkyo.mainichi.jp/46shu/kaihyo_area_meikan.html?mid=A13009003003
- 政治家情報 〜菅原 一秀〜. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). JANJAN. Retrieved October 20, 2007. External link in
- Official website in Japanese.