This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ivan Tucakov, 2011 Photo by: Mehtap Kızılırmak
- 1 History
- 2 Tambura Rasa
- 3 Vino & Forte
- 4 Discography
- 5 Books
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Tucakov, of Serbo-Croatian descent, spent the first eight years of his childhood in the plains of central Turkey, then moved to live in Serbia, both the crossroads of eastern and western cultures and music. Throughout the years, he has done extensive travelling around the worlds gathering inspiration from various cultures. He explored the techniques of Balkan Music, Afro-Cuban jazz, Flamenco, Indian Classical Music, Music of Cuba, Persian Music, Fado, Gypsy Music and many more.
Ivan Tucakov formed collective Tambura Rasa. Throughout the years, Tucakov has collaborated with many artists and produced, listed in the discography below. Current members: Ivan Tucakov - guitar, Colin Maskell - Saxophone/Flute, Robin Layne - Percussion, Kerry Galloway - bass, Randall Stoll - drums, The Black Dog String Quartet
Vino & Forte
In 2012 Ivan Tucakov and the classical pianist Oriana White created a world fusion duet "Vino & Forte". Skilled in their own fields, Oriana and Ivan took on the challenge of merging each other's music, classical on one side and Balkan-flamenco on the other. The result is V&F, a unique collection of pieces which reflect the individual styles they appreciate and enjoy.
Sunrise on a New World (2004)
Featuring: Delhi 2 Dublin's Tarun Nayar on tablas; Thomas Tumbach on violin.
- Funky Bedouin
- Isla Mujeres / Yuandao (featuring Chris Suen on Diao and Xia)
- El Gharbi (featuring Aboubacar Camara - African singing)
- Hey Mister
- Ningchen (featuring Chris Suen on Diao and Xia)
- Makumba (featuring Aboubacar Camara - African singing)
Featuring: Delhi 2 Dublin's Tarun Nayar on tablas.
"Ten tracks fusing rhythms and instruments from Balkan, Iberian, South American and South Asian traditions. A cut above typical flamenco jazz. This has spark, skill and great production." (June 6, 2006) - The Province - by: Stuart Derdeyn
"... It's like a trip around the world, and you don't need to pack or track down your passport. ... The skill level of the performance ensemble is quite high, so world guitar fans should almost consider this a must-have; at the very least, have a listen and hear for yourself. Highly recommended." (Dec, 2006) - Guitar Nine Records
"In the midst of a lot of gimmicky fusion, Tambura Rasa stands out as a group that has formed a worthwhile synthesis of music from many cultures." (Dec, 2006) Cultural Arts Magazine - Rambles
- Anadol (featuring Brian Poulsen on solo guitar)
- Jovano Jovanke
- Delirio (featuring David Sorroche with Flamenco singing)
- Viaje(featuring Victor Chorobik on duduk and flutes)
- TJango (featuring Dugg Schmidt on Bandoneon)
- Ghazal (featuring Aditya Verma on Sarod)
- Likeadazeickle (featuring Brian Poulsen on solo guitar)
- Dulces Suenos(featuring Luis Gutierrez - Flamenco singing)
- Mausim (featuring Victor Chorobik on duduk and flutes and Chris Suen on guzheng)
- Party Song (featuring Brian Poulsen on solo guitar)
"More than just world music, this is positively global in its reach with flamenco and Middle-Eastern music fusing with Balkan, gypsy and Afro-Latin, all performed with great skill and verve"—J.P.M. - The Province
- Gypsy Love (featuring Joseph 'Pepe' Danza on Percussion and Flute)
- Tambura Pana
- Loved One
- Ceo Svet (featuring Anupam Shobhakar on the Sarod)
- Akşam (featuring Anupam Shobhakar on the Sarod)
- Estrella (featuring Joseph 'Pepe' Danza on Percussion)
- Hang On (featuring producer Chin Injeti - vocals)
Tambura Rasa Beats (2009)
A lounge electronica compilation of some of Tambura Rasa world fusion compositions from 2005-2009 (Includes Cafe del Mar's releases: Cinnabar Mix and Gypsy Love Mix) The CD "Tambura Rasa Beats" was nominated for the Western Canadian Music Award 2010 World Recording of the Year.
- Cinnabar Mix (Café del Mar XIII Mix)
- Tambura Pana (Latin Dub Mix)
- Isla Mujeres (Bossa Lounge Mix)
- Mausim (Yoga Mix)
- Ningchen (Tranquil Morning Mix)
- Funky B (Desert Mirage Mix)
- Ghazal (Indian Chill Mix)
- Gypsy Love Mix (Café del Mar XVI Mix)
Nominated for Western Canadian Music Awards 2011 Best World Recording Featuring Michael Fraser on violin, Robin Layne on percussion, John Bews on bass, Trevor Grant on drums.
- Ardor Kadife (Baladi Buleria)
- Miris Irisa
- Se Smej
- A Day With You
- Oh! Belka
- Lamento de Amistad (Siguirilla)
- New World
In Concert (2012)
Nominated for Western Canadian Music Awards 2013 Best World Recording Featuring the Black Dog String Quartet (Elyse Jacobson, Cameron Wilson, John Kastelic and Doug Gorkoff), Michael Fraser on violin, Colin Maskell on saxophone and flute, Kerry Galloway on bass, Elliot Polsky on drums Robin Layne on percussion.
- Isla Mujeres (Live)
- Türk Kahvesi (Live)
- Ardor Kadife (Live)
- Viaje (Live)
- Ceo Svet (Live)
- Loved One (Live)
- Bandido (Live)
- Miris Irisa (Live)
- Mujeres (Live)
- Lamento De Amistad (Live)
- Adsum (Live)
- Delirio (Live)
- Anadol (Live)
Featuring the Black Dog String Quartet (Elyse Jacobson, Cameron Wilson, John Kastelic and Doug Gorkoff), Cameron Wilson on solo violin, Colin Maskell on bansuri, saxophone and flute, Kerry Galloway on bass, Randall Stoll on drums Robin Layne on percussion.
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond (featuring Neelamjit Dhillon on tablas) - Pink Floyd cover
- En la Vida (featuring Miguelito Valdez on vocals and trumpets)
- Nada (guest vocalist: Maria Avila)
- Türk Kahvesi (guest vocalist: Michael Antonakos)
- Dulces Sueños (featuring Neelamjit Dhillon on tablas)
- Ay Haiku (featuring Neelamjit Dhillon on tablas)
- El Viento (guest vocalist: David Sorroche)
- 2006 - "Cinnabar Mix" - Café del Mar Vol. 13. Ivan's electronic mix of his own song Cinnabar (from the first CD "Sunrise on a New World") is released on this compilation.
- 2009 - "Gypsy Love Mix" - Café del Mar Vol. 16. Ivan's electronic mix of his own song Gypsy Love (from the third CD "Kamanala") is released on this compilation.
- 2004 - Golden Rush (documentary)
- 2005 - On the Bag (documentary)
- 2006 - Heartfelt Cafe (short movie)
Mindful Connection Method
In 2010 Ivan Tucakov released a book on social dynamics called “The Mindful Connection Method”.
The book was a result years of studying human interactions, thorough research of various psychological tools and theories on communication, working as a PR and road manager for years and a degree in computers and physics, which offered a logical and empirical approach to his writing.
The book is a practical, strategically organized and easy to implement guide that enables us to know where to focus our attention and how to choose actions in order to build and maintain nurturing relationships with others and ourselves. Supported by an illustrated, thorough example throughout and a full practice section at the back, this book offers guidance in areas of personal growth, family dynamics, work settings, conflict resolution, counseling, education, community building, social issues and beyond.
In 2013, Tucakov released The Compass Within workbook which presents practical steps to breaking destructive, disconnecting habit loops and replacing them with restorative, connecting habits.
Ivan maintains an active blog on related topics, organizes and moderates discussion practice workshops and educational speaker series and offers private coaching through the "The Compass Within" organization.