This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was working at a lumber camp in Finland at the outbreak of World War II, and joined a Territorial Army battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as a private soldier. When the Soviet Union invaded Finland in November 1939, he was seconded to the 5th (Ski) Battalion Scots Guards. This was disbanded after Finland was forced to accept Russian terms in March 1940. Then he joined the artillery in Libya and served there during the siege of Tobruk, later to become the subject of some of his drier reminiscences. By the end of the war, he served as a liaison officer with the Grenadier Guards and subsequently a captain in the Coldstream Guards.
He was the eighth baronet and the 30th Laird of Luss. As a member of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs, he made regular appearances at clan gatherings and clan games and endorsed the clan museum. From 1949 until 1982, he was chieftain of the Luss Highland Games in July.
He was married in 1943 to Kathleen Nimmo Duncan (died 17 April 2007), 2nd daughter of Walter Atholl Duncan, of Cadogan Sq., London. His wife's sister Marjorie Ray Duncan married in 1938 the 6th Earl of Verulam.
Sir Ivar Colquhoun of Luss and Lady Colquhoun had three children:
- Torquhil Colquhoun, younger of Luss (b 1944, d 1963);
- Iona Mary (b 1945), now the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, who married 1964, the 12th Duke of Argyll (1937-2001), and had issue one son (the present Duke) and one daughter; &
- Malcolm Rory Colquhoun (b 20 Dec 1947), 9th baronet. He was styled Malcolm Colquhoun of Luss, younger of Luss, following the death of his elder brother as the heir to the baronetcy and estate. He married for the second time in October 1989 Katharine A.H. Mears, eldest daughter of Mr & Mrs A.C. Mears, of Canberra, Australia, and has issue by her.
- The death of Lady Colquhoun of Luss was reported in April 2007 on the discussion group Peerage News.
- Information on a marriage and birth in the family, on the discussion group alt.talk.royalty, derived from notices in the British newspapers.
- Obituary in The Times
|Baronetage of Great Britain|
|Baronet Colquhoun of Luss