J. F. Kennedy Memorial, Birmingham
|J. F. Kennedy Memorial|
The completed recreation, February 2013 (Mike Nangle visible bottom right)
|Subject||John F. Kennedy|
|Dimensions||4.5 m × 14 m (15 ft × 46 ft)|
The mosaic was erected on St Chad's Circus (at approx St Chad's Cathedral, in July 1968, at a cost of £5,000. When the road system was redeveloped in 2007 the mosaic was demolished. Key features, including the heads of some of the main figures, were retrieved and retained by Kenneth Budd's son Oliver.), outside the City's Roman Catholic
In 2012 it was re-created using new materials. The new mosaic was erected in January 2013, in the city's Irish Quarter, on Floodgate Street in Digbeth, in reworked form, including the controversial addition of a new face, that of former Lord Mayor of Birmingham Mike Nangle, the city's first Irish Lord Mayor. The work was overseen by Budd's son, Oliver, who worked from his father's original drawings. The retained sections were not used as the colours had faded and would not match the new Smalti mosiac tiles. A formal unveiling took place on 23 February 2013.
The text gives an incorrect date of 1960, the year he was elected, for the start of his presidency, when he was actually president from January 1961. This inaccuracy was also present in the original creation.
The original mosaic had wording at either side. The wording on the right said (all in upper case):
no white or
The recreated mosaic has different words. On the left (again, all in upper case):
to John F
and to the right:
- Authi, Jasbir (2011-10-20). "Planning application for JFK memorial to be moved to Digbeth is submitted - Birmingham Mail". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "KENNEDY MOSAIC MURAL". British Pathé. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Elkes, Neil (2006-06-19). "Oliver's a real chip off the old block". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Budd, Oliver (2012-01-01). "Meanwhile, Back to JFK". Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Budd, Oliver (2012-01-01). "Kennedy Mosaic Commission". Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Pamela (2013-01-18). "Digbeth's new JFK mural". Digbeth.org. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Bradley, Steve (2013-01-11). "New row over adding face of ex-Lord Mayor Mike Nangle to Birmingham JFK mosaic - Birmingham Mail". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Budd, Oliver (2013-01-23). "ALL THE WAY - WITH JFK!!!". Budd Mosaic news. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Birmingham JFK memorial back on show in Digbeth". Birmingham Mail. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Budd, Oliver (2012-10-01). "TEDDY'S BACK!!!!!". Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Budd, Oliver (2012-07-07). "THE PRESIDENTIAL SEAL". Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Budd, Oliver (2012-05-28). "MARTIN LUTHER KING BACK IN THE PICTURE". Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "John F Kennedy memorial bears 'wrong date of presidency'". BBC Online News. 2013-11-27. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Kennedy Memorial & St.Chad's RC Cathedral. St.Chad's Circus. May 1970". Flickr. May 1970. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to J. F. Kennedy Memorial, Birmingham.|