Gleeson in 2012
20 May 1992
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Dublin|
Gleeson was born in Cork, Ireland. Gleeson attended Gonzaga college for his secondary education. He attended drama classes when young with his sisters Rachel and Emma who are also actresses in Ireland.
Gleeson began acting at the age of seven in the Independent Theatre Workshop. His first roles were in films such as Reign of Fire in 2002, Batman Begins in 2005, Shrooms in 2007, and A Shine of Rainbows in 2009. In 2010, he appeared in a leading role in All Good Children. The reviewer for Variety magazine considered Gleeson "the pic's big discovery".
Gleeson starred as Joffrey Baratheon in the HBO series Game of Thrones. He cites Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Commodus in Gladiator as an influence on his performance. He is a founder and artistic director of Collapsing Horse Theatre Company, which is based in Dublin.
In 2012, Gleeson indicated an intention to retire from acting to pursue an academic career once his work on Game of Thrones was finished. In 2014, Gleeson confirmed he would be permanently retiring from acting after concluding his work in Game of Thrones. In the same interview, he stated that while he had previously been interested in pursuing academia, he had since 'gone off that idea'.
In 2015, Gleeson starred in the puppetry shows Bears in Space created by his theater company Collapsing Horse and in mid-2016 the show premierered in New York.
|2002||Reign of Fire||Kid||Uncredited|
|Moving Day||Jack||Short film|
|2003||Fishtale||Boy with the Fish|
|2004||Tom Waits Made Me Cry||Young Vincent|
|2005||Batman Begins||Little Boy|
|2009||A Shine of Rainbows||Seamus|
|2010||All Good Children||Dara|
|2006–2008||Killinaskully||Pa Connors Jr.||RTÉ One||4 episodes|
|2011–2014||Game of Thrones||Joffrey Baratheon||HBO||26 episodes
IGN People's Choice Award for Best TV Villain (2012)
Nominated—IGN Award for Best TV Villain (2011–2013)
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor in a Television Series (2013)
Nominated—Scream Award for Best Ensemble (2011)
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2011, 2013)
Nominated—Young Hollywood Award: We Love to Hate You (2014)
- "Jack Gleeson Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- O'Regan, Mark (17 April 2012). "Jack Gleeson swaps 'Game of Thrones' for seat of learning". Irish Independent. independent.ie. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Email: Fellows & Scholars (Email) (2 July 2012). "Welcome – Fellows & Scholars : Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin, Ireland". Tcd.ie. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Meanwhile, At Trinity College". Broadsheet.ie. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Jack Gleeson Lands Major HBO Pilot!". In The Spotlight. 10 March 2010. Archived from the original on 10 March 2010. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Felperin, Leslie (20 May 2010). "All Good Children – Film Reviews – Cannes". Variety.com. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Kit, Borys (19 July 2009). "Sean Bean ascends to Game of Thrones". Reuters. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Hill, Logan (June 2012). "The Villains Questionnaire: Jack Gleeson". GQ. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- James Hibberd (13 April 2014). "'Game of Thrones': Jack Gleeson talks royal wedding shocker -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jack Gleeson|