Jakub of Sienno
Jakub of Sienno (Polish: Jakub z Sienna) was a medieval Bishop Kraków in the years 1461–1463, Bishop of Włocławek from 1464, and then Archbishop of Gniezno from 1474. He was also a 15th-century diplomat for the Polish Crown.
Jakob was born in 1413 in Sienno, the son of Dobisław of Oleśnicy a local aristocrat of the Debno family and his wife Catherine Oleśnicka, daughter of Dymitr of Goraj. His father, Dobiesława Olesnica mala Dębno, was Count of Sandomierz.
His brothers were:
- John of Sienna Castellan of Lwów
- Dymitr of Sienna (d. 1465) Canon of Kraków
- Nicholas of Sienna (d. 1484) Archdeacon of Sandomierz
- Paul of Sienna (c. 1410–1444) the Royal Secretary
- Andrzej Sienieński (d. 1494) Chamberlain of Sandomierz
- He was also a nephew of Cardinal Oleśnicki.
In 1459 he represented the King at the Congress in Mantua. November 24, 1460,
Pope Pius II appointed him Bishop of Kraków. Unfortunately, the King had other plans and request the appointment of John Gruszczynski, consecrated on May 31, 1461. The conflict escalated with the Pope (Pius II) on 2 June 1461, threatening to excommunicate the King. The King then banished Jakub.
Eventually on 16 January 1462 the conflict was resolved through intersession of the papal legate Jerome Lando, Archbishop of Crete. In January 1463 at the Sejm in Piotrków the Kings appointee abdicated the bishopric of Kraków.
Pope Pius II compensated Jakob and he received the bishopric of Włocławek. In Włocławek and in Gniezno he installed oak pew stalls and rich liturgical equipment, and donated to the library of Kraków Academy.
- "Diocese of Włocławek (Kujawy, Kalisze)". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Marceli Kosman: Między ołtarzem a tronem : poczet prymasów Polski. (Poznań: Oficyna Wydawnicza G & P, 2000).
- Antoni Gąsiorowski, Jerzy Topolski [ed.]: Wielkopolski Słownik Biograficzny. (Warszawa-Poznań: Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, 1981), p276-277.
- David m. Cheney:[www.catholic-hierarchy.org Archbishop Jakub Sienienski] (Sienna) at catholic-hierarchy (access to 2013-06-27).
- Archdiocese History Biography of Jakob.
- Marceli Kosman: between the altar and the throne: the Polish primates. Poznań, Poland: Oficyna Wydawnicza G & P, 2000. ISBN 83-7272-017-7.
- David M. Cheney: Archbishop Jakub Sienienski (z Sienna).
- Volumina Legum, vol I, (Petersburg 1859), p101.