Born in The Hague, Meulman received her MA in Mathematical Psychology at the Leiden University in 1981, and her PhD in 1986 in Applied Statistics with the thesis entitled "A distance approach to nonlinear multivariate analysis." advised by John P. van de Geer.
From 1991 to 1999 she was Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. Back in the Netherlands in 1999, she was appointed Professor at Leiden University, where she spoke an inaugural address entitled "De toegepaste datatheorie en de verwondering". She was Visiting Professor at Stanford University .
Meulman has received several awards, including a five-year "fellowship" of the Academy in 1987, and a Fulbright Award in 1992. In 2001 she was elected president of the International Psychometric Society, and since 2002 she is a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). In 2011 she was elected president of The Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research (VVS).
Furthermore Meulman member of the editorial board of several journals, including the Journal of Classification since 1990, and the British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology since 1996.
Meulman's research interest are in the field of applied data theory, and work includes the development of new statistical methods with applications in behavioral science and medicine .
Since the 1990s, she manages the SPSS research, focusing on the development of software for nonlinear multivariate analysis. In Leiden, she is involved in the design of the first Master of Applied Statistics.
Meulman has authored and co-authored many publications in the field of sociological research. A selection:
- 1982. Homogeneity analysis of incomplete data. Doctoral thesis Leiden University.
- 1986. The effect of education on Sudanese women's attitudes towards female circumcision.
- 1986. A distance approach to nonlinear multivariate analysis
- 1999. De toegepaste datatheorie en de verwondering. Inaugural lecture at Leiden University.
- 2001. SPSS Categories 11.0. With Willem J. Heiser. Chicago: SPSS, 2001.
Article, a selection:
- Dusseldorp, E., van Elderen, T., Maes, S., Meulman, J., & Kraaij, V. (1999). A meta-analysis of psychoeducational programs for coronary heart disease patients. Health Psychology, 18(5), 506.
- Friedman, Jerome H., and Jacqueline J. Meulman. "Clustering objects on subsets of attributes (with discussion)." Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology) 66.4 (2004): 815-849.
- Linting, M., Meulman, J. J., Groenen, P. J., & van der Koojj, A. J. (2007). Nonlinear principal components analysis: introduction and application. Psychological methods, 12(3), 336.
- Jacqueline Jacinthe Meulman in Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Jacqueline Meulman" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Jacqueline J. Meulman BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH. Accessed September 30, 2013.
- Masters Track Statistical Science for the Life and Behavioural Sciences. Master of Applied Statistics, University of Leiden. Accessed September 30, 2013.
- List of publications Koninklijke Bibliotheek. . Accessed September 30, 2013.
- Jacqueline J. Meulman Professor of Applied Statistics - Mathematical Institute - Leiden University