James H. Morris
James H. Morris
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University (B.S.) |
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MBA and Ph.D.)
|Fields||Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction|
Morris taught at the University of California, Berkeley, where he developed some important underlying principles of programming languages: inter-module protection and lazy evaluation. He was a co-discoverer of the Knuth–Morris–Pratt algorithm for string-search.
For ten years, he worked at the Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center), where he was part of the team that developed the Xerox Alto System. He also directed the Cedar programming environment project.
From 1983 to 1988, Morris directed the Information Technology Center at Carnegie Mellon University, a joint project with IBM, which developed a prototype university computing system, the Andrew Project. He has been the principal investigator of two National Science Foundation projects aimed at computer-mediated communication: EXPRES and Prep.
- Iwasaki H. D.E.Knuth, J.H.Morris, V.R.Pratt: Fast Pattern Matching in Strings(Prominent Books and Articles in the 20th Century)[J]. Journal De Radiologie Délectrologie Et De Médecine Nucléaire, 1968, 49(5):378-81.
- Wright, C., Cowan, C., Smalley, S., Morris, J., & Kroahhartman, G. (2003). Linux security modules: general security support for the linux kernel. , 3124, 213-226.
- Morris, J. H., & Sherman, J. D. (1981). Generalizability of an organizational commitment model. Academy of Management Journal, 24(3), 512-526.
- Mills, P. K., & Morris, J. H. (1986). Clients as "partial" employees of service organizations: role development in client participation. Academy of Management Review, 11(4), 726-735.
- Morris, J. H., Satyanarayanan, M., Conner, M. H., Howard, J. H., Rosenthal, D. S., & Smith, F. D. (1986). Andrew: a distributed personal computing environment. Communications of the Acm, 29(3), 184-201.
- Henderson, P., & Morris, J. H. (1976). A lazy evaluator. ACM Sigact-Sigplan Symposium on Principles on Programming Languages (pp. 95–103). DBLP.
- Neuwirth, C. M., Kaufer, D. S., Chandhok, R., & Morris, J. H. (1990). Issues in the design of computer support for co-authoring and commenting. ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (pp. 183–195). ACM.
- Geschke, C. M., Morris, J. H., & Satterthwaite, E. H. (1977). Early experience with mesa. Communications of the Acm, 20(8), 540-553.
- Morris, J. H. (1973). Protection in programming languages. Communications of the Acm, 16(16), 15-21.
- Neuwirth, C. M., Kaufer, D. S., Chandhok, R., & Morris, J. H. (1994). Computer support for distributed collaborative writing: defining parameters of interaction. ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (pp. 145–152). ACM.
- "Dr. James H. Morris—web page". Carnegie Mellon University.
(quote: 1941 • Born)
- "Advisory Board — (SCS Advisory Board Member Bios:)". Carnegie Mellon University. Archived from the original on 2009-10-16. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "James H.Morris Personal Webpage". 2018. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Baidu Scholar". 2018. Retrieved 2018-02-07.