From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
James Hastings (1852–1922) was a Scottish Presbyterian minister and biblical scholar.
He was founder and editor of the Expository Times.
Works (as editor)
- Dictionary of the Bible, (1898–1904), five volumes
- Dictionary of Christ and the Gospels, (1901), two volumes, later editions with John A. Selbie and John C. Lambert
- Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics, (Edinburgh 1908–26; 2nd edition 1925–1940, reprint 1955), 13 volumes
- Dictionary of the Apostolic Church, (1916)
- The Great Texts of the Bible, multiple volumes
- The Speaker's Bible, 13 volumes
- Short biography on Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod website
- Short biography and on-line version of first two dictionaries on Christian Classics Ethereal Library website
- Children's Great Texts Of The Bible by James Hastings