James I. Mestrovitch
|James I. Mestrovitch|
Medal of Honor recipient
May 22, 1894|
Bay of Kotor, Austrian Littoral
|Died||November 4, 1918
|Allegiance||United States of America|
||United States Army|
|Years of service||1917 - 1918|
|Unit||Company C, 111th Infantry, 28th Division|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Mestrovitch, an ethnic Serb, was born as Joko Meštrović in the area of Boka Kotorska, today's Montenegro, and after immigrating to the United States in 1913 he lived in Fresno, California. He enlisted in the U.S. Army at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Seeing his company commander lying wounded 30 yards in front of the line after his company had withdrawn to a sheltered position behind a stone wall, Sgt. Mestrovitch voluntarily left cover and crawled through heavy machinegun and shell fire to where the officer lay. He took the officer upon his back and crawled to a place of safety, where he administered first-aid treatment, his exceptional heroism saving the officer's life.
He died from the Spanish flu one week before the armistice. During the 1920s, his remains were repatriated by a U.S. battleship from France to Montenegro, where he was buried in cemetery of Serbian Orthodox Church of St. John in his home village of Đuraševići near Tivat.
- "Oni ne zaboravljaju: Predstavnici ambasade SAD obišli grob Joka Meštrovića" [They do not forget: envoys from the U.S. Embassy visited the grave of Joko Meštrović] (in Serbo-Croatian). Vijesti. November 11, 2014. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "SGT James I. Mestrovitch". Military Hall of Honor. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "Army Sergeant James I. Mestrovitch - World War I". U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. March 25, 2011. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "Joko Meštrović, junak Crnogoraca, Srba i SAD". Danas. March 31, 2016. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.
|This biographical article related to World War I United States Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|