|Born||Jamison Dean Newberg
March 3, 1969
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
|Occupation||Attorney; Sports Writer|
Jamison Dean "Jamey" Newberg (born March 3, 1969) is a Dallas, Texas lawyer and sports writer who became fairly well known since the late 1990s as an expert multi-media commentator on the Texas Rangers baseball organization, with an emphasis on the subtleties of minor league player development and complex trade strategies. Newberg originally compiled his analysis and observations (which have come to be known as The Newberg Report) into a semi-regular email memo sent to a handful of like-minded fan recipients. As his readership increased, those insights were also posted to a blog. Since 1999 his commentary has been collected and published in an annual bound volume each winter. Newberg appears regularly on Dallas television and radio broadcasts discussing the Rangers, is a featured panelist on a regular Rangers-based podcast, and also contributes written material to the Rangers official online presence on MLB.com.
Newberg's independence and impartiality were called into question during the Rangers 2010 bankruptcy proceedings, when the Dallas Morning News revealed that the organization had paid Newberg in excess of $27,000, in addition to paying for he and his family to attend the team's spring training in Arizona. Newberg maintained that his "obnoxious optimism" regarding the Rangers is genuine and not a condition for compensation from the organization, and said that the payments he received were for content he produced for the Rangers' website, gameday programs, and books he'd written that were distributed by the team to season ticket holders. Craig Calcaterra of NBC Sports was critical of Newberg, saying that he should have previously disclosed his financial arrangement with the Rangers to his readers.
- Robert Wilonsky (July 22, 2004). "The Unnatural - Page 1 - News - Dallas". Dallas Observer. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Newy Scruggs (September 11, 2007). "Story on Newberg Report". YouTube. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Newberg Report: Ronald Guzman has potential with bat | texasrangers.com: News". Texas.rangers.mlb.com. August 17, 2011. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Richie Whitt (July 19, 2007). "The Fab Fifty - Page 1 - News - Dallas". Dallas Observer. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Richie Whitt (July 10, 2008). "The Fab 50 - Page 1 - News - Dallas". Dallas Observer. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Richie Whitt (July 16, 2009). "It's time for the Dallas Observer's annual list of the 50 Most Powerful People in Metroplex Sports. Cool. - Page 1 - News - Dallas". Dallas Observer. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Dallas Best Sports Columnist - Jamey Newberg - Best Of Dallas". Dallas Observer. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Rangers' money exposed: Owner took $183,000 salary; Ryan $1.5 million | SportsDay". SportsDay. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Rangers-Angels underway. | Texas Rangers Blog | The Newberg Report". www.newbergreport.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Calcaterra, Craig. "Let's take a peek inside the Rangers finances". HardballTalk. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Official website – The Newberg Report