Perry in 2006
|Member of the Los Angeles City Council from the 9th district.|
July 1, 2001 – July 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Rita Walters|
|Succeeded by||Curren Price, Jr.|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
She was a member of the 9th district of the Los Angeles City Council from 2001 to 2013 and was President Pro Tempore of the Los Angeles City Council. She is a member of the Democratic Party. She was a candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles in 2013.
Perry helped enact restrictions on fast food restaurants in her district. As part of a larger campaign to combat high obesity rates, she has also funded public parks to promote outdoor activity and supported incentives to encourage more grocery stores to open within her district.
Jan Perry is currently the General Manager, Los Angeles Economic & Workforce Development Department (EWDD). Initially appointed as Interim General Manager of the Los Angeles Economic & Workforce Development Department (EWDD) in July, 2013 by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti. She was named General Manager in November, 2013.
Jan Perry Wetlands
A 9-acre underutilized bus maintenance yard was developed into a South Los Angeles storm water wetlands and community park.
The project includes storm water pre-treatment, storm water treatment wetlands of approximately 4 acres, open park space, and a parking lot sloped to drain into the wetlands. The project also provides for wildlife viewing, and educational opportunities. The project was completed in December, 2011.
The project is funded by Los Angeles Proposition "O", 2004 Bond Measure, State and local grant money and funds from the EPA and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority were also used.
- Los Angeles City Council
- Los Angeles City Council District 9
- Official website Los Angeles Economic & Workforce Development Department / EWDD
- JewishJournal 2001
- McBride, Sarah (July 22, 2008). "Exiling the Happy Meal: Los Angeles Lawmakers Want to Escalate The War on Obesity (And Fast Food)". The Wall Street Journal.
- Perry, Jan. "About Us". Official website Los Angeles Economic & Workforce Development Department. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- Hagekhalil, Adel. "Adel Hagekhalil on Significance of South LA's Wetlands Park.". The Planning Report February 26, 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- Vaillancourt, Ryan. "The End of the Era of Jan.". www.downtownnews.com.
- Linthicum, Kate. "Reclaimed bus yard begins life as urban wetland." (February 10, 2012). Los Angeles Times.
- "Official website of Proposition O Info & Outreach.". www.lapropo.org.
- The Jewish Journal: "Jan Perry’s quest: Spirituality, pursuit of L.A.‘s well-being" By Bill Boyarsky July 25, 2012
|Los Angeles City Councilmember,
July 1, 2001 – July 1, 2013
Curren Price, Jr.
|This article about a California politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|