|Directed by||Ramesh Selvan|
|Produced by||Crescent film international|
|17 December 2004|
Jananam (English: Birth) is a South Indian Tamil film directed by Ramesh Selvan, who earlier directed Ulavuthurai with Vijayakanth. The film stars Arun Vijay and Priyanka Trivedi in lead roles. The film was launched in 2002 and got delayed and released in 2004.
Surya (Arun Kumar) is an angry young man who is a post-graduate looking for a job. His girlfriend is Sruthi (Priyanka Trivedi) who always tries to control his rage as he fights against injustice in society. He fights for a friend (Charly) who is a gold medalist but does not get a job as he is not able to get a loan from a bank as he does not have any collateral to pledge. Another gold medalist friend dies in an accident after running helter-skelter hunting for a job.
All this changes Surya’s life especially after he meets a well-known writer and intellectual, Udaya Murthy (Raghuvaran) who urges him along with others to start a movement against corruption and injustice in society. They start an Unemployed Graduate Association which rubs the local politician and don Muthukaruppan (Asish Vidyarthi) the wrong way. The idealist Surya turns into a raging force after Murthy is shot dead by police and he is jailed. In jail, he is brutally tortured by the police as he becomes a rallying point for the youth who are fighting unemployment.
The film was announced in 2002 with Arun and Priyanka playing lead roles. Ramesh Selvan was also directing Kaalaatpadai with newcomers at the same time. The film got delayed by a year due to financing problems; also Priyanka's marriage caused the delay and it was finally released in 2004.
- Ore Oru Mutham - Karthik, Srilekha Parthasarathy
- Pidivadham Pidikathae - Ranjith, Mahathi
- Sushmitha Kiss Thantha - Tippu
- Enge Thavarugal - Bharadwaj
- Sudum Varai Neruppu - Yugendran, Tippu, Karthik, Timmy, Balaji
- Neethaane Emmele - Harish Raghavendra, Chinmayee
Indiaglitz wrote: "Though director Ramesh has tried to narrate an issue that the society is grappling with, it's certain that the delayed release will have an impact in the minds of the audience". Hindu wrote: "DESPITE A rather irrelevant and unrealistic theme that offers little support to the story and cast, if Crescent Movie International's "Jananam" is able to garner appreciation, much of the credit goes to the film's hero, Arun Kumar. The actor has slogged it out and the diligence shows. Be it action, emotion or subdued expression, Arun Kumar comes out with a commendable show in every frame. Sify wrote:" The story, plot development and packaging is old wine in a new bottle and has a hangover of films like Sethu and Nanda . Still it is watchable and has a positive message that unemployed youth can change the way of the society and administration, provided they are focused". Balaji b wrote: "Jananam belongs to the list of movies that is well-intentioned but not particularly well-made, the issue and its solution are presented in a screenplay that does not do justice to them" while another critic wrote: "The film begins with violence and finds the solution in peace talks. The story is weak and so is the screen play. The director focuses more on his punch dialogues and student revolution rather than building a story with flowing scenes to stimulate interest. Chennaionline wrote: "Director Ramesh may not have been able to convey all that he wanted to, nor in the exact way he had wanted to. But he should be commended for taking up a film with a message, and for his sincerity in depicting the plight of the educated unemployed from the poorer strata of society".
- "Arun Kumar hoping for a new birth in Jananam - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2004-11-01. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "All troubles over for'em - Bollywood Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2004-12-15. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Welcome to". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Jananam Tamil Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 2004-12-22. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Entertainment / Film Review : Jananam". The Hindu. 2004-12-24. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Movie Review:Jananam". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Jananam". Bbthots.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Online edition of Daily News - Features". Dailynews.lk. 2005-01-19. Archived from the original on 9 February 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-04.