|Born||February 22, 1984|
Cape Town, South Africa
|Alma mater||University of Cape Town (2005) (Psychology) Prague Film School (2010) (Directing and Screenwriting)|
Staggie is best known for his controversial, acclaimed 2013 debut novel Risk. Risk was nominated for a South African Literary Award in the Best Young Author category, and revolves around a group of hedonistic university students who create the ultimate dare game, which culminates in them attempting to trigger a modern-day revolution. It has been likened to an African Fight Club and Less Than Zero  Staggie's background has been influenced by his being a nephew of Rashied of the Hard Livings gang, though this was not a direct influence on Risk. His filmmaking was influenced primarily by Quentin Tarantino, and his skills led to his being selected as a finalist in the 2013 Kevin Spacey Jameson Prize.
Staggie is currently planning another book, named Epic.
Staggie graduated UCT with a degree in psychology in 2005, then moved to Ireland to raise funds for charities. After Ireland he taught ESL in South Korea before moving to Prague, Czech Republic, where he studied directing and screenwriting at Prague Film School. He is now living back in Cape Town, studying for his honours at UNISA. He is also making a documentary about the Hard Livings gang.
In 2013 Staggie's Fluxus video poem "Requiem for Lithium" was selected for the Visible Verse Festival in Vancouver.
In 2014 Staggie's short story "Beaufort West" was published in the Sunday Times Lifestyle magazine's “FFWD >> 2034 The Future Fiction Edition”. The special edition was published to celebrate 20 years of democracy in South Africa and featured short stories by 40 top South Africa authors set in South Africa on 27 April 2034 – 20 years after the publication date.
- "Jason Staggie Discusses His Transgressive Novel Risk". Umuzi. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "2014 South African Literary Awards Finalists Announced". sala.org.za. 2014-10-20. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Risk". Good Reads. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "A high-risk life leads from film to novels". Tonight. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Risky Business". City Press. Archived from the original on 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Nothing Ventured: Capetonian 'RISK' Author Jason Staggie on His Daring New Novel". Afripop!. Archived from the original on 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Jameson First Shot News". Jameson First Shot. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Staggie makes Hard Livings film". Business Day Live. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Jason Staggie - The Power of Storytelling". A New Uprising. Archived from the original on 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Staggie makes Hard Livings film". Independent Online. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "On Screen". Thecinematheque.ca. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Read Sunday Times' Future Fiction Edition Featuring Short Stories Set in 2034 from 40 Top SA Authors - Books LIVE". Books LIVE @ Books LIVE. Retrieved 16 February 2015.