27 December 1957
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Oxford University|
|Notable awards||Master of Wine |
Jasper Morris (born 27 December 1957) is a British Master of Wine since 1985. An expert on the wine of Burgundy, with a strong interest in other pinot-producing countries such as New Zealand, he has taken a strong interest in the nascent wine industries of China and Japan, visiting the wine regions of both countries.
Morris founded the successful specialist wine importers Morris & Verdin in 1981. He studied to become a Master of Wine concurrently with Jancis Robinson, MW, and with his sister Arabella Woodrow, MW, Morris achieving the accreditation in 1985 and Woodrow in 1986. Morris and Woodrow are the only pair of siblings to be Masters of Wine.
After Berry Bros. & Rudd acquired Morris & Verdin in 2003, Morris was appointed BBR buying director. In May 2008, Morris, together with colleagues at BBR, published "The Future of Wine Report", speculating on the state of the wine industry in the coming 50 years. He retired from the company in July 2017.
Morris' early book publications are White Wines of Burgundy, and The Wines of the Loire. In September 2010, Morris presented his substantial book Inside Burgundy, which won the André Simon prize, the initial launch publication of the new BBR publishing division, Berry Bros. & Rudd Press.
Having retired from commerce Jasper Morris has embarked on a new career as Burgundy expert and critic, culminating in the launch of the website Jasper Morris Inside Burgundy in September 2018. The Second edition also won the André Simon prize in 2021.
- Morris, Jasper (1988). The White Wines of Burgundy. Hamlyn. ISBN 978-0706431988.
- Morris, Jasper (1989). The Wines of The Loire. Mitchell Beazley. ISBN 978-0600567479.
- Morris, Jasper (2010). Inside Burgundy. Berry Bros & Rudd Press. ISBN 978-0951063217.
- Morris, Jasper (2022). Inside Burgundy 2. Berry Bros & Rudd Press. ISBN 978-0-9510632-4-8.
Awards and recognition
- 1985 - Master of Wine
- 2005 - Chevalier de l’Ordre de Mérite Agricole
- 2010, 2022 - André Simon Book Award
- Morris, Jasper, Master of Wine, The Institute of Masters of Wine
- Woodrow, Arabella, Master of Wine, The Institute of Masters of Wine
- Lechmere, Adam (28 November 2003). "Berry Brothers buys Morris & Verdin". decanter.com.
- Berry Bros. & Rudd, Berrys' Future of Wine Report Archived 2008-05-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Meikle, James (9 May 2008). "Chateau China, a taste of wines to come with climate change". The Guardian.
- Styles, Oliver (9 May 2008). "China to become leading wine producer?". decanter.com.
- The Drinks Business, Christie's Appoints Jasper Morris as Hospices Consultant
- Sotheby’s to Launch Sales of Wines and Spirits in France this Autumn (19 Oct 2021)Sotheby’s to Launch Sales of Wines and Spirits in France this Autumn
- Gibb, Rebecca (11 August 2010). "Berry Bros launches publishing division". decanter.com.
- Jasper Morris Inside Burgundy, InsideBurgundy.com (25 May 2020). About JMIB | Learn a little more about Jasper Morris Inside Burgundy.
- André Simon Drink Book Award 2021 Winner, Inside Burgundy - The Second Edition (9 Mar 2022). André Simon Drink Book Award 2021 Winner