Jay W. Richards
Jay W. Richards
Jay Wesley Richards
|Alma mater||Southwestern University|
Calvin Theological Seminary
Union Presbyterian Seminary
Princeton Theological Seminary
Jay Wesley Richards is an American analytic philosopher and intelligent design and free market advocate, and a Senior Fellow at the Discovery Institute. He serves as the Assistant Research Professor in the School of Business and Economics at the Catholic University of America and the executive editor of The Stream. A former Presbyterian, Richards is now a Catholic.
Jay Richards graduated from Southwestern University, where he received a B.A. with majors in political science and religion. He received a Master of Theology (Th.M.) degree from Calvin Theological Seminary and a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree from Union Presbyterian Seminary. His Ph.D. (with honors) is in philosophy and theology from Princeton Theological Seminary.[better source needed]
Richards is a former faculty member at Biola University, where he taught apologetics. He worked for the Acton Institute before becoming Assistant Research Professor in the School of Business and Economics at the Catholic University of America and executive editor of The Stream.
Richards is the author of numerous scholarly and popular articles as well as four books, including The Untamed God and The Privileged Planet. Richards has been known for his intelligent design advocacy since 1996. The Privileged Planet was co-authored with astronomer and fellow CSC Senior Fellow Guillermo Gonzalez.
Richards was a fellow at the Institute for Faith, Work & Economics and the Program Director of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture (CSC). He was the first fellow at the Discovery Institute to confirm the genuineness of the Wedge document. Science organizations then paid attention to the Institute after the document was published online, but Richards wrote "that the mission statement and goals had been posted on the CRSC's website since 1996." Richards has expressed skepticism of global warming.
In January 2008 at Stanford University Jay Richards had a debate with a leading atheist, Christopher Hitchens, on the topic: Atheism vs. Theism and The Scientific Evidence of Intelligent Design. It was moderated by Ben Stein. The debate led up to the release of Ben Stein's movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed.
- Are We Spiritual Machines?: Ray Kurzweil vs. the Critics of Strong A.I. by Jay W. Richards, George Gilder, Ray Kurzweil, Thomas Ray, John Searle, William Dembski, Michael Denton. Discovery Institute. ISBN 0-9638654-3-9
- Eat, Fast, Feast: Heal Your Body While Feeding Your Soul- A Christian Guide to Fasting. Harper Collins Publishers, 2020. ISBN 9780062905215
- The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery by Guillermo Gonzalez, Jay W. Richards, Regnery Publishing, Inc., Washington D.C., March 2004, ISBN 0-89526-065-4
- The Untamed God: A Philosophical Exploration of Divine Perfection, Immutability and Simplicity by Jay Wesley Richards, InterVarsity Press, October 2003, ISBN 0-8308-2734-X
- Unapologetic Apologetics: Meeting the Challenges of Theological Studies. William A. Dembski, Jay Wesley Richards. Downer's Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8308-1563-5
- Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and Not the Problem. New York: HarperOne, 2009. ISBN 978-0-06-137561-3
- "Jay W. Richards – Assistant Research Professor". The Catholic University of America. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Biola University Apologetics Faculty
- The New Creationists Archived 2006-12-30 at the Wayback Machine Nina Shapiro. Seattle Weekly, April 18, 2001
- Barbara Forrest and Paul R. Gross. Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design. 2004, page 27
- Barbara Forrest and Paul R. Gross. Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design. 2004, page 28
- Carbon Dioxide's Day in Court, Jay Richards, Acton Institute, November 29, 2006
- "Global Warming: Hysteria or Reality?" (PDF). Archived from the original on October 8, 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-22.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)