Philippot was appointed administrator general of the RTBF in 2002 and immediately embarked on a policy of retrenchment and centralisation recommended by Andersen Consulting, which led to strikes and protests.
In December 2015 the former editor-in-chief of the RTBF television news accused him of being in the pocket of the Socialist party. In March 2016 Philippott was reported to be the best-paid public employee in French-speaking Belgium, and the only one whose annual pay exceeded the statutory maximum of 250,000 euros. In April 2016 he told a parliamentary committee on media that the RTBF was not top-heavy with managers and they were not overpaid.
- Rik Otten, Achter televisie: Omroepmarkten en -structuren in West-Europa (Antwerp and Apeldoorn, 2011), pp. 284-287.
- Bouche, Michaël (17 December 2015). "Dauriac: "La direction de la RTBF est le larbin du PS"". 7sur7.
- "Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles: voici les plus gros salaires des patrons des organismes publics". Sudinfo. 5 March 2016.
- "Jean-Paul Philippot: «La RTBF n’est pas une armée mexicaine»". Le Soir. 19 April 2016.
- "Jean-Paul Philippot réélu à la présidence de l'UER". 7sur7. 17 June 2016.