Jeanne Tripier was born in 1869 in Paris. Daughter of a wine merchant, she spent her childhood in the country with her grandmother. As an adult she lived in the Montmartre district of Paris, working as a salesgirl at a department store. At 58 she developed a passion for Spiritualist doctrines and divination. These activities became central to her existence, so much so that she eventually stopped going to work. In 1934 she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in Paris.
Jeanne Tripier began creating works which blended image and text when she was in her 50s. Tripier's work emerged during trance states and utilized materials such as sugar and hair dye. She also produced figurative embroidery pieces. She ascribed responsibility for her output of texts, drawings, and embroideries to spiritual entities.
Collections and exhibits
Jeanne Tripier's work is primarily held in the Collection de l'Art Brut museum in Lausanne, Switzerland. Her works have been lent to other institutions for exhibitions, including the 2015 exhibit Art Brut in America: The Incursion of Jean Dubuffet at the American Folk Art Museum.
- Gaze, Delia ed. (1997). Dictionary of Women Artists: Artists, J-Z. Routledge. p. 96. ISBN 0316589063.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Wertkin, Gerard C. ed. (2004). Encyclopedia of American Folk Art. Routledge. p. 400. ISBN 0-415-92986-5.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Maclagan, David (2009). Outsider Art: From the Margins to the Marketplace. Reaktion Books. p. 184. ISBN 978-1861895219.
- "TRIPIER jeanne". Art Brut Collection ABCD. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Tripier, Jeanne". Collection de l'art Brut Lausanne. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Spiritualist Art. Collection de l'Art Brut Lausanne.
- Zion, Amy. "Art Brut in America & Unorthodox". Frieze. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Maclagan, David (2014). Line Let Loose: Scribbling, Doodling and Automatic Drawing. Reaktion Books. p. 116. ISBN 1780230826.
- "Art Brut in America: The Incursion of Jean Dubuffet". American Folk Art Museum. Retrieved 11 March 2017.