1970 (age 48–49)
|Alma mater||Kenyon College B.A.|
Boston University M.A.
Jenna Blum (born c. 1970) is an American writer notable for her novels Those Who Save Us and The Stormchasers. In 2013 she was selected by the Modern Scholar series to teach an audio lecture course entitled The Author at Work: The Art of Writing Fiction. In addition, Blum leads novelists as part of the Grub Street writing center, a Boston-based workshop for writers.
Blum grew up with a Jewish father and part-German mother in the United States. She lived in Minnesota for four years. She taught creative writing and communications writing at Boston University and also taught fiction and novel workshops for Grub Street Writers in Boston since 1997. Her first novel Those Who Save Us was published in hardcover by Harcourt in 2004 and in paperback in 2005 and explored how non-Jewish Germans dealt with the Holocaust; according to one account, it shows the “grace and brutality of human interaction in desperate times,” and was described as having “wonderful prose” with “strongly developed characters.” It was a New York Times bestseller as well as the bestselling book in the Netherlands for one year.
- Nancy Harris, The Boston Globe, 2014, Inner and outer turbulence in ‘The Stormchasers’, Accessed Feb. 2, 2014, “...I was surprised to discover that bipolar disorder was really at the heart of this exciting story...”
- 2013, Recorded Books, The Modern Scholar, The Author at Work: The Art of Writing Fiction by Jenna Blum, ISBN 978-1-4703-8437-1
- Jan Gardner, The Boston Globe, July 4, 2010, Empowering writers, Accessed Feb. 2, 2014, “...Since its inception in 1997, 53 instructors, including New York Times bestselling author Jenna Blum, and 22 students have published books. In recent months, the pace has picked up...”
- Nancy Harris, The Boston Globe, November 18, 2010, Inspiring connections, Accessed Feb. 2, 2014
- Amy Sutherland, May 15, 2011, The Boston Globe, The fast and the furious, Accessed Feb. 2, 2014, “...It may have taken Jenna Blum five tries to get into Boston University’s graduate writing program, but it only took her one novel, Those Who Save Us, to land on The New York Times bestseller list. Her most recent book, The Stormchasers, ...”
- Jennifer Haupt, April 28, 2011, Psychology Today, Jenna Blum: Write what you know about, live what you write about, Accessed Feb. 5, 2014, "... now keeping it lofted on the Dutch bestseller list..."