Colegrove is a surname, or family name, that developed in England between the 12th and 15th centuries. The name may have originated from a grove along the River Cole, Wiltshire, a tributary of the River Thames in England. Another explanation as to the origin of the name is from the Middle English cole ‘coal’ + grave ‘pit’, ‘grave’ (Old English col + græf). Other forms of spelling in the past include ‘Colgrove’, ‘Colegrave’, ‘Colgrave’, ‘Coulgrove’. The first records of the Colegrove name were in 15th century England.
List of persons with the surname
- Francis Colegrove (c. 1667 – c. 1759), colonial immigrant first known Colegrove in the United States
- Michael Bruce Colegrove, fifth President of Hargrave Military Academy
- Stephen Colegrove (c. 1694 – 1787), first Town Councilman of Foster, Rhode Island
- Colegrove v. Green, US Supreme Court case
- Colegrove, Pennsylvania, town founded in the 19th century as a rail depot in McKean County, named after Colegrove founders
|This page or section lists people with the surname Colegrove (surname). If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|