|Directed by||Jean Negulesco|
|Written by||Ennio De Concini
|Story by||Flora Sundström|
|Music by||Mario Nascimbene|
When her husband dies in Sicily while on their honeymoon, Jessica, a nurse, decides to remain there rather than return home. She decides to become a midwife in the village of Forza d'Agro.
Men of the town pay quite a bit of attention to the attractive Jessica, causing women to resent her presence. The wives conspire to abstain from relations with their husbands, reasoning if no babies are born, no midwife is needed. A parish priest, Father Antonio, disapproves of their scheme.
Jessica develops a romantic interest in Edmondo Raumo, a marchese who has been a recluse since being injured during the war. Raumo elects to lie about his true identity, telling Jessica he is a humble fisherman.
She becomes angry when the truth is finally known and intends to leave Sicily forever. A villager who has been kind to her, however, is dying, and the situation brings her closer to Raumo in the end.
- Maurice Chevalier as Father Antonio
- Angie Dickinson as Jessica
- Noël-Noël as Old Crupi
- Gabriele Ferzetti as Edmondo Raumo
- Sylva Koscina as Nunzia Tuffi
- Agnes Moorehead as Maria Lombardo
- Marcel Dalio as Luigi Tuffi
- Danielle De Metz as Nicolina Lombardo
- Antonio Cifariello as Gianni Crupi
- Kerima as Virginia Toriello
- Carlo Croccolo as Beppi Toriello
- Georgette Anys as Mamma Parigi
- Rossana Rory as Rosa Masudino
- Alberto Rabagliati as Pietro Masudino
- Marina Berti as Filippella Risino
- Gianni Musy as Filippo Casabranca