|Alma mater||University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, author, speaker|
Cathcart has authored 20 books (including Relationship Selling and The Acorn Principle) and numerous recorded programs while traveling internationally to provide speeches at seminars, conferences, and workshops. He is a TEDx presenter  and serves as a strategic advisor and consultant. Cathcart is the original author and creator of the concept of Relationship Selling. He is a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) from the National Speakers Association.
In the years 2015 through 2019 Mr. Cathcart delivered scores of presentations all over mainland China on behalf of World Masters Speakers Bureau (Dr. David Chu) based near Shanghai in the Song Jiang province. He spoke in 23 cities to tens of thousands of young business people and business owners. He also recorded a musical album "Fireside Songs" (19 songs) while in Taipei, Taiwan. His books, The Self Motivation Handbook, Relationship Selling and You Are The Speaker have been translated into Chinese and published there. He conducted a year long academy program called "Skyliners Academy" with seminars in Thames Town, Li Jiang, Shanghai and on Yangtze River Cruises. In 2019 he traveled to China for 6 separate lecture tours.
After 37 years in California, he moved Cathcart Institute to Austin, Texas in 2020. His primary activities during Covid19 have been Mentorship for Small Groups of High Achievers via Zoom and telephone plus weekly podcasts, interviews, webinars and articles.
He can be seen daily on Thrive15.com and TSTN.com while he also gives weekly radio interviews. Cathcart has been published and quoted in numerous media outlets including San Fernando Valley Business Journal, Pacific Coast Business Times, Investor's Business Daily, Townhall.com, and Huffington Post.
Awards and honors
Cathcart was inducted into the Sales & Marketing Hall of Fame in 2012 for his lifetime of work associated with his book and concept of Relationship Selling. He is listed in the professional Speaker Hall of Fame, is a recipient of the Golden Gavel Award, has been the president of the National Speakers Association and received their Cavett Award for a lifetime of service. The San Diego chapter of the National Speakers Association renamed their member of the year award “The Jim Cathcart Service Award” and the Greater Los Angeles chapter gave him their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003. In 2008, he was inducted as one of the “Legends of the Speaking Profession.”
He was selected as one of the Top 5 Sales & Customer Service Speakers by Speaking.com (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) and was listed as one of Top 50 Sales Influencers in the World by Top Sales World (2014, 2015, and 2016). He was named among a listing of Top 25 Speakers (2015, 2016, and 2017) selected by over 27,000 voting.
Cathcart is a graduate of Arkansas Military Academy and attended the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. He is also a musician being a singer, songwriter, and guitarist. He has served as an Artist in Residence for High Point University and serves on the Dean’s Advisory Council to the School of Management at California Lutheran University, where he is also their first Entrepreneur in Residence.
He is also a former board member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Conejo Valley. In 1975-77, he served as the Senior Program Manager for Individual Development (programs) for the United States Junior Chamber of Commerce, The Jaycees.
- Cathcart, Jim (with Tony Alessandra and John Monoky) (1990). Be Your Own Sales Manager: Strategies And Tactics For Managing Your Accounts, Your Territory, And Yourself. New York, NY: Touchstone. pp. 276 pages. ISBN 978-0671761752.
- Cathcart, Jim (1999). The Acorn Principle: Know Yourself, Grow Yourself. New York, NY: St. Martin's Griffin. pp. 214 pages. ISBN 978-0312242848.
- Cathcart, Jim (2002). The Eight Competencies of Relationship Selling. New York, NY: Leading Authorities Press. pp. 240 pages. ISBN 978-0-9710078-1-9.
- Cathcart, Jim (2010). Relationship Selling: The eight competencies of top sales producers. Thousand Oaks, CA: Cathcart Institute, Inc. pp. 320 pages. ASIN B004AYD92S.
- Cathcart, Jim (2016). The Self-Motivation Handbook. Carlsbad, CA: Motivational Press, Inc. pp. 306 pages. ISBN 978-1628653137.
- "Award-winning Motivational Speaker Jim Cathcart" WREG Channel 3 News. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Use your faith to stand up and act" Idaho Statesman. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "World Demonstration Award Master - Jim Cathcart" Epoch Times. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Austin to host small business festival in May" Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "How to believe in yourself: Jim Cathcart at TEDxDelrayBeach" TEDx Talks. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Personal Development Expert Becomes Business Coach" The ThriveTime Show. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Certifications" Greater Los Angeles Chapter - National Speakers Association. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Mentors" Thrive15.com. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "The Purpose of Selling: Jim Cathcart" TSTN. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Jim Cathcart; Believe in Yourself!" BlogTalkRadio. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Preview: Sales Self-Helper" San Fernando Valley Business Journal. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "To succeed, learn what motivates you" Pacific Coast Business Times. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "The American Dream Party" Townhall.com. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "7 Things Self-Made Millionaires Do Differently" Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Speaking of success, here’s Jim Cathcart" Agoura Hills Acorn. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Past Presidents" National Speaker Association. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "The Cavett Award" National Speakers Association. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Legends" Veteran Speakers Retreat. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Top 5 Speaker Honorees for 2014" Speaking.com. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Top 25 Speakers 2017" Speaking.com. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "A hub for independent start-ups" Agoura Hills Acorn. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- ""Cal Lutheran Creates Business Mentorship Posts" San Fernando Valley Business Journal. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Two take posts with Boys and Girls Clubs" Agoura Hills Acorn. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Communications Workshop Sponsored By Local Jaycees" The Wiley News. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Cathcart.com Official site